News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Necessary OBI settings for Ring Central (undocumented)

Started by HughHempel, July 05, 2013, 12:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HughHempel

Dear Ring Central Users:

Over the 4th of July holiday, I made the mistake of changing my (working) settings for my OBI 110 to update my IP address for my Ring Central number.  I used the OBI setup wizard (after deleting the device) with the new SIP10.ringcentral.com URL and entered my UID/PW as usual.

The result was that I was able to make OUTBOUND calls as usual, BUT the INBOUND calls were going straight to RC voicemail because the OBI inbound settings were incorrectly generated by the OBI wizard.

the RC tech support guys valiantly attempted to help me without success.  Finally, this morning I got a hold of the OBI team and the issue was fixed in a matter of seconds.  I am posting here so that someone else might be able to avoid a call to OBI/RC and/or have their phone back online over a weekend when no support is available.

All that is required is a simply "OBI Expert" setting to be changed for you OBI:

1)  Login to your ObiTalk account
2)  Follow the menu links to your device (Ring Central) and open settings
3)  Go to OBI Expert
4)  Go to "Service: SP1" Menu on the left as follows:
http://screencast.com/t/wffCBSqVk2n5

5) Change the "INBOUNDCALLROUTE" to "PH" (no quotes) as follows:

http://screencast.com/t/18oOtBCDsn

6)  Submit your changes

That's it!  You should now have proper inbound calling abilities...

BTW:  I am somewhat shocked that OBI has not fixed their install wizard for RingCentral to place the proper settings...  The tech team obviously know exactly what the problem is and it appears to be a trivial change to make to the wizard...  At a minimum, this issue should be documented somewhere on the OBI knowledge base...

CoalMinerRetired

I think instead of a fix to the wizard Obi needs to check or roll back a recent update to their setup managed by the ObiTalk database.

Prior to a few weeks ago, X_InBoundCallRoute used to be set to "ph" (without the quotes).

A few weeks ago there was a 'reboot required' that came up on ObITalk managed devices. The sole difference, that I noticed, the reboot accomplished is this change to X_InBoundCallRoute {>12015551212:ph}.

HughHempel

CoalMinerRetired:  This makes total sense.  I had not updated my firmware for months, and when I went to change my RC settings I updated at the same time.  More than likely, the root of the problem is the firmware/system update as you point out.

ianobi

QuoteA few weeks ago there was a 'reboot required' that came up on ObITalk managed devices. The sole difference, that I noticed, the reboot accomplished is this change to X_InBoundCallRoute {>12015551212:ph}.

Looks like Obihai are adopting the "Oleg method". This would seem to suggest that they do read this forum. If that is so, then maybe we could get back to the good old days when they also contributed to the forum   :)

CoalMinerRetired

BTW, this was not a firmware update, this was one of the (completely and totally undocumented) times when you get the 'reboot required' icon.

I got curious and did a before and after export of an Obi202 to see what the differences were. That field change was all I found (and it was only for certain SIP providers).

Interestingly on the most recent 'reboot required' I found no differences, and concluded from that some of these reboot required events only affect specific configurations. 

HughHempel

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on July 05, 2013, 01:12:33 PM
BTW, this was not a firmware update, this was one of the (completely and totally undocumented) times when you get the 'reboot required' icon.

My bad...  I misused the word "firmware"...  It appears to be soley "config" changes...