News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Disable it when I want?

Started by James_K_P, July 08, 2013, 09:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James_K_P

Hi All,

I am having some issues with my teen calling people when we aren't home, that leads to him getting in trouble.

So I'd like to know what is the easiest way for me to simply turn off service when I leave, and enable when I want?

My first guess is to login to the device itself on the local network, go under "voice services", then simply unchecking the Box for Enable under SP1 Service?

Then rechecking this when I want it back on?

I want it totally disabled, no outgoing, or incoming calls.  I'm scared to uncheck it to test in fear that I might wipe something out.

Thanks!
James

Shale

You might want to consider a more complex method that allows 911. That would be more work.

With internet access, the teen may figure out how to a voice service with that.
Padlocking the OBi power supply or taking it with you might work, but your teen might find a different supply. You could take the OBi box with you fairly easily. 3 plugs.

Anyway, in answer to your question, Disable you SPn Service by un-ticking (Voice Services)SPn Service->Enable.

n probably represents 0.

You could do this in the OBi itself or in the expert mode of OBiTalk.

Padlocking the OBi power supply might work, but your teen might find a different supply.

How fancy do you want to go? Suppose somebody could figure out how to allow calls to a specific set of numbers including 911 and your cellphone.

Better might be to use a router that would disable the OBi traffic on a schedule or upon command. It could potential do other limiting of web access too.

James_K_P

I like to take baby steps.

He doesn't have PC access, so just unticking it would do the trick. 

If this would not work, then yes, probably taking the power supply would be the next step I'd take, but I'm not worried about it.  He isn't a normal tech savvy kid, plus he has a younger brother that will be home here and there and that's why it would be nice if I could just untick a box here and there when I need it be.

I'm simply trying to "help" him from getting into anymore trouble.....as we're at our end and the next step is he's out of the house (he's 18).  So I'm not going to go nuts with this idea.   :) 

So when I untick this, nothing gets cleared out, it all stays, and when I renable, it will be right back where it was? 

Thanks for the quick reply!

Shale

Quote from: James_K_P on July 08, 2013, 09:04:14 AM

Then rechecking this when I want it back on?

I want it totally disabled, no outgoing, or incoming calls.  I'm scared to uncheck it to test in fear that I might wipe something out.
That is my understanding. It is for just SP0 or just for SP1, depending which box you are changing. So if you only use SP0 and clearing the box on SP0, then yes.

Rick

Disabling the phone so your teen can't call 911 seems very dangerous.

None of my business, but if you can't get your teen to not do things that cause issues, disabling the phone is the least of your problems.

Your router may have the capability to be turned off during certain hours.  Or you can turn the router off, remove the router's adapter, ...

RFord

If the numbers your Son is calling is fairly limited, you can program those numbers into your OBi device to prevent outgoing (and incoming) from those numbers.

giqcass

If it were me I would disable at the router or set it so any call will dial me.  That way I can say "What are you doing on the phone? You know I'm everywhere!"
Long live our new ObiLords!