News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 - Inbound calls not ringing phone

Started by rtsmith555, July 19, 2013, 06:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtsmith555

I've been researching this issue via the forum and Google for over a week now but still cannot find the solution.  I set up the Obi202 with a Google Voice account.  Everything appears to work fine except that I cannot get the phone to ring (not even once) for an incoming call.  There is not activity at all with my phone.  In fact, there is no activity at all on the phone display until the call has been missed and a voicemail has been left (vm indicator on Panasonic KX-TGA9321T phone blinks).

1.  I have forwarded calls to Google Chat in GV account settings.
2.  I have 'No' selected for VM Access in GV account settings > Phones > Google Chat > Edit.
3.  I can make calls from my phone to other phones just fine thru GV/Obi.
4.  If I set up Google Voice to forward calls to my cell phone, it works just fine.
5.  I have contacted people outside of my household to attempt to call my GV number and get my phone to ring with no success to eliminate the possibility of it being an issue with testing the ring function with a cell phone that I used to authenticate the GV account(s).
6.  X_InboundCallRoute = {ph1} BUT there is a red exclamation point beside the field value for which I cannot find an error code anywhere if it does in fact represent an error.  There are other red exclamation points beside various other fields in Expert Config (i.e., X_UserAgentPort, AuthUserName, MWIEnable, and X_VMWIEnable even though the values in each of these fields 'appear' to be valid).
7.  Phone is plugged into the Phone 1 port on the back of the device.  Only SP1 is configured in Obitalk.  All other service providers are 'Not Configured.'
8.  'Primary Line for Outgoing Calls' and 'Phone Rings on Incoming Calls' values are both set to SP1.
9.  RingVoltage value under Phone1 in Expert Config = 70.  Have tried to change to 82 as well after reading the forum, but this didn't make any difference.
10.  I have attempted to use the callback feature as described somewhere in the forum and in the setup instructions.  It accepted the pin and phone number that I entered when prompted, but did NOT call my phone.  Again, I get a voice mail indicator on my phone after I miss a call.

Might my phone just not be compatible?  Is there a list of compatible phones?

I'd appreciate anyone's assistance.  Thanks.

Stumped

I am seeing the same issue.  I am going to remove our Panasonic system and try our old analog phone.  Not sure why the Panasonic wouldn't work.

Stumped

Stumped

Rings on inbound calls with analog phone.  Seems to be the Panasonic KX-TG... Anyone have a Panasonic (KX-TG7841-45 model range) that works with Obi and GV? Going to read the Panasonic operating guide to see if there is a setting to change.

Stumped

Looks like one work around is to forward GV to a cell phone and connect the cell phone by blue tooth to the Panasonic unit via link to cell(page 17 in the user manual).  It will then ring both the cell and the handsets.  Do not think this is the best solution as it would fail to ring on inbound calls when the paired cell is not there.

ianobi

This has been observed with Panasonic phones before. The cure was to change this setting:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> RingWaveform: trapezoidal

Old corded phones seem happy with any waveform you throw at them. Some modern dect bases seem to prefer trapezoidal - I have no idea why!

Let us know if it works - it may help others.

Stumped

Thanks Ianobi for the information.  That worked great.  

>Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> RingWaveform: trapezoidal

I went to:

-Obi Expert Settings
-Physical Interfaces
-Phone  
-Ringer/RingWaveForm - [change from Sinusoidal to Trapezoidal (un-check default device and Obitalk settings to see the pull down choices)]

No longer stumped!

Note: I could not do this from an iPad.  I had to switch to a PC to be able to properly change the settings in the Obi dashboard.

Stumped

Okay still one very minor issue.  The Panasonic insists there is a voicemail.  No message is recorded.  Tried erasing there is still no message to delete.  It thinks I have an outside service for VM.

Best practices for Panasonic (who are using Obi and GV) users at installation:

- make sure Answering machine button is off
- Turn off VMail tone detection (page 63 in manual)
    - [menu] #332
    - select OFF
    - [Save]

Not sure what to do next.  The new voicemail message on the handsets stops it from displaying the time which was a really nice feature.

Shale

Quote from: Stumped on July 21, 2013, 02:27:44 PM
Okay still one very minor issue.  The Panasonic insists there is a voicemail.  No message is recorded.  Tried erasing there is still no message to delete.  It thinks I have an outside service for VM.

Try these:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3401.0

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1333.0

Stumped

Thanks Shale! Great advice, the second forum link did the trick. 

Solution seems to be unchecking MWIenable and X_VMWIenable, no more message and no more stutter dial tone.

rtsmith555

Wish I could say the RingWaveform setting worked for me as well, but sadly no.  Does anyone know of a proven brand/model of cordless phone that typically works well with OBi devices--specifically OBi202?  I'd be more willing to risk purchasing new phones than to keep paying Time Warner $40+ per month for phone service.  I'd even think about going back to corded to avoid that.

Thanks.

rtsmith555

Ignore my last post.  I just searched the forum using 'trapezoidal' as a keyword and found another thread with what turned out to be the solution.  

I somehow had a Google Chat forwarding number that was tied to an old email address.  I deleted the Google Chat forwarding number, logged out, logged back in, and there was a new Google Chat number associated with my 'current' GV account email address.  Odd--still not sure what happened with my email addresses--but it worked.  My phone immediately rang for the first time when tested.  

So, your advice led to the conclusion after all, ianobi.  Thanks to everyone for the help.

tony17112acst

I also have a Panasonic cordless system (4 phones) and my phone actually receives incoming calls but they do not ring.

After a lot of experimentation and trial and error, I found that if the main base is plugged into the Obi unit, it rings, but if I have it hooked up to the already existing phone lines in the house, it did not (with Obi linked, of course).

I tried these (and you should too) and they did NOT work:
(1) Removing older phones from the house wiring;
(2) Changed channels on the wireless router to eliminate interference;
(3) Changed Obi's Expert Setting from Sinosoidal to Trapezoidal;
(4) Increased Ring voltage (in Expert Settings) to 92 volts.

Since the phones would ring attached directly to Obi, and not when the house wiring was linked, I theorized that there could be interference or voltage from the telephone company's lines to the house. So I disconnected the wires from the phone company at the network box on the outside of my house and that worked!

I just wanted to let people know that this is another reason your phone may not be ringing.

SteveInWA

Quote from: tony17112acst on January 29, 2016, 01:11:18 PM
I tried these (and you should too) no, you shouldn't. and they did NOT work:

(2) Changed channels on the wireless router to eliminate interference;  DECT cordless phones operate on the 1.9GHz band.  WiFi operates on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, and there is absolutely no interference between the two.  DECT's 1.9GHz is specifically dedicated to telephony use; no other products interfere with it.

(3) Changed Obi's Expert Setting from Sinosoidal to Trapezoidal;
(4) Increased Ring voltage (in Expert Settings) to 92 volts.
  Unnecessary.  Panasonic phones work fine on the default ring settings.

Since the phones would ring attached directly to Obi, and not when the house wiring was linked, I theorized that there could be interference or voltage from the telephone company's lines to the house. So I disconnected the wires from the phone company at the network box on the outside of my house and that worked!  Well,duh.

drgeoff

@tony17112acst

Connecting an OBi's phone port to house wiring that is still connected to a telco line also has a high risk of killing the OBi and voiding any warranty it had.