News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can OBi do this?

Started by LMillerMT, August 03, 2013, 04:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMillerMT

I have a scenario that I'm trying to see if I can solve with OBi. Bear with me!

I have 4 phone lines that I use strictly on an incoming basis - no outgoing calls are made with these lines. Each of the 4 lines physically go into a card on my computer. That card does all sorts of delightful things, but basically it's a glorified 4-line recorder.

I have been using GV only because I need 4 different area codes for people to dial in with. So I've got 4 local numbers that are reached via GV forwarding.

My thought was that I could cancel the 4 local numbers and just use GV with an OBi. But then I'm totally brain dead from there. I can hook up GV easily - no problem with any of that. But how do I OUTPUT the 4 OBi lines into my computer?

Be nice now. I just need to know if I can do this and what the thought process is. I can make anything work once I know it's doable and the basic logistics of it. But right now my brain is trying to wrap around too many concepts.

Can anyone help? Pretty please?

Shale

Quote from: LMillerMT on August 03, 2013, 04:22:03 PM
I have 4 phone lines that I use strictly on an incoming basis - no outgoing calls are made with these lines. Each of the 4 lines physically go into a card on my computer. That card does all sorts of delightful things, but basically it's a glorified 4-line recorder.

With the most direct way, you would probably need 2 OBI202s. Each would produce 2 physical phone line signals, which you would wire into your card, which acts as 4 phones -- if I understand correctly.

Alternatively, you could use an OBi100 from one GV number to feed one port on your phone. Have GV forward 3 of the numbers to the one GV number that the OBi is handing. Only one at a time gets through. Use the GV logs to tell which number was dialed.

Longinus

What outputs do you need from the OBi to your PC? Do you need 4 separate phone wires or can they all go through 1 phone wire?

OBi202 and OBi200 both can have 4 separate VOIP providers per device. So you can set up 4 separate GV numbers on 1 device. But the OBi202 only has 2 phone jacks; OBi200 only 1 phone jack. If you must have a separate phone wire for each phone #, you may need multiple devices.

Can the PC differentiate incoming calls by caller ID or distinctive ring. You can program the OBi to ring differently for each VOIP provider. GV can be set to send the GV# for CID.