News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Jitter Buffer Configurable

Started by Pinky, August 04, 2013, 03:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinky

It would be great to have a jitter buffer setting that can be any value which the Obi hardware (I'm using OBi-100) can handle.  I'm using mine to get some legacy synchronous serial equipment linked up using modems (I know, very old school).  The jitter buffer seems to be pretty big and I think that's why the modem training takes a while before coming online.

I'd like to be able to change the jitter buffer to suit whatever network environment I install the OBIs in which can be anything from DSL to an extremely low latency/high speed university network.

squalk

+1

add OPTION to enable manual setting OR leave at auto

Some of us have very low latency verizon fios (fiber) [and effectively zero jitter] at home and don't need the added delay of assumptions.

Tier 4
fios does not use software rate-limiting so FULL bi-directrional saturation STILL has very low latency 

Mango

+1

There is a noticeably higher amount of latency when comparing my OBi110 and my SPA921, all other things being equal.

Trev

Indeed it would be very nice to be able to set the jitter buffer to a fixed size.  This will help immensely with modem communications (ie. alarm systems, postage meters, and credit card machines).

Many of our customers are struggling with these kinds of devices.
In Canada and looking for an OBi?
https://www.acrovoice.ca/obistore/

carl

+1.      My jitter is near zero  ( u-verse)