News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi slowing down my internet speed

Started by Cary, August 11, 2013, 11:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cary

When I have the Obi plugged into my router (Verizon Actiontec MI424) it slows down my internet speed. Specifically it slows down my upload speed. I have Fios and I typically get @20/20 speed but when Obi plugged into router I get close to 20 download and the upload can't register.

I've tried to change option 27 to a value of "1" based on a post but that wasn't successful.

I've tried to plug into the WAN vs. the LAN with no success.

Phone calls work great and my work computer will work fine with Obi plugged in which I suspect is a result of the VPN.

Any ideas?

Rick

The right way to change to full duplex is here: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3788.0

If that doesn't work, make sure you're doing it right.  A phone connected to the phone port, the OBi plugged and turned on.  That's it - i.e. don't connect to the line or ethernet ports, no reason to do so. 

You should NOT be plugging your OBi into the WAN port.  If you have a modem and router, you plug the modem into the router's WAN port, then PCs and the OBi into the LAN ports.  If it's a combination modem/router, you plug NOTHING into the WAN port, and plug the OBi into a LAN port.

Cary

Thanks for the feedback Rick.

I checked and had the full duplex option set at "1" which is the setting for 100 Mb full duplex. I ran a speed test again and got the same issue. Got a download speed of about 6 and an upload of nothing. Speakeasy responds by stating "upload test returned an error while trying to read the upload title". I get this every time I run the test with the Obi connected.

I'm thinking I have an out of date router or something. When I unplug the Obi my internet connection returns to fast speeds 11/10 on the last test.

I appreciate you responding. I've got an email to their support email site as well......

Rick

Forget the speed.  Do you have issues uploading while on the phone?

Make sure your OBi is plugged into a LAN Port, NOT the WAN port of the router.

Cary

Plugged into LAN and not on the phone.

wvoc

I saw this happen to my line in my place in Hong Kong. Turned out the broadband provider was throttling my connection. Internet forums (and Weibo) said the telco was trying to cut out use of VoIP applications. I still don't know anything for sure, but I was able to switch broadband providers and the trouble went away.