News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Inbound GV calls produce a tone like POTS call waiting tone

Started by Nodistortion, August 21, 2013, 11:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nodistortion

Using OBi110 with POTS line and Google Voice.

It seems that when the POTS line is dialed and received all is normal.
When the Google Voice number is dialed I hear a tone similar to a POTS call waiting tone with inbound calls.  Is that to differentiate between the POTS and GV incoming calls?  Is there a way to disable that tone on incoming GV calls?

Thanks, Jim

QBZappy

More than likely message waiting tone. Mark any unread messages to read. Note that GV sometimes buries message in unlikely places. You may need to check all your folders.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Nodistortion

I checked for messages and texts, but nothing there.  Any other ideas?

Shale

I don't know what you might be hearing. When you say "When the Google Voice number is dialed ", you might be more specific. Is the tone before dialing, during entering digets, after you have entered the last digits, while ringing, or what? How many beeps? Do you always hear it?

Nodistortion

As incoming Google Voice calls are picked up/answered a "call waiting" tone is heard. It happens every time a incoming Google voice call is picked up.

dircom

when you pick up the phone do you hear a "stutter" dial tone?

Shale

Quote from: Nodistortion on August 25, 2013, 03:53:37 PM
I checked for messages and texts, but nothing there.  Any other ideas?

My theory is that it is a call waiting tone. You have GV set to ring both your wire phone and your OBi. The first to pick up the call gets the call.

To get rid of the tone, turn off call forwarding to your wireline on GV. https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165221?hl=en

If my theory is correct, you will probably see both calls coming in in your OBi100 call history.

Nodistortion

Dircom, thanks for stutter tone terminology, I could not confirm by example, but I think is the tone I was hearing.

Shale you were correct.  As soon I unchecked the POTS line box under Google Voice --> Settings --> Forward calls to the stutter tone went away.

So how does Google Voice know to route the Google Voice number to OBi110?

Shale

http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html and see the top link on the left. You did that stuff, and that's how your GV gets to the OBi.

The stutter dialtone is a sound you would hear instead of regular dialtone before you dial the first digit.