News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call out using gmail chat

Started by feelyat, August 26, 2013, 08:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feelyat

I've used gmail's chat tool to dial phone numbers before.  Now that I have my OBI100 set up, the way I understand it, the OBI is communicating in the same way as that chat window (xmpp/jingle).  My question is: can I still use the gmail chat tool to make calls?  I have tried it, and had some success, but I wonder what the official policy is.  I also wonder what happens if I have two calls going at the same time.  Is that allowed?

QBZappy

feelyat,

Weclome.

This might thread may be of interest.    

So what is unique about the OBion app vs using the Google Talk client?
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3573.msg23781#msg23781

As far as I can tell, calling using the "gmail chat tool" is probably one of the most under used ways of calling someone with an OBi. Also, oddly enough no one seems to be mentioning if they find the "Call OBi" button found on the OBi portal (WebRTC) useful.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

feelyat

Thanks, QBZappy. That's an interesting series of posts.

One question, though.  In the first post, you state "Since you can not have the same GTALK acct open on the computer and the OBi, you will need to open a second GTALK acct to receive forked calls.".  Is that true?  That's basically what I'm asking.  Right now, I do have the same account open on the OBi and the computer, with no obvious ill effects.  What problems could I experience if I continue using gtalk in such a manner?

QBZappy

Note that the OBi202 has the following setting:
Voice Services->SP1 Service->X_GTalkSimultaneousRing

Put your mouse over the info bubble. It seems that being registered more than one time with the same GTalk account may no longer be a problem on the OBi202 models. In the earlier models (OBi100/110) it was usually the last one registered which was active. At least that was what was generally agreed as expected behaviour by the OBi units. Things may have changed. The OBi release notes are nonexistent for some reason. The only way to know for sure is to test it. Maybe you can can shine a light on this for us.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

feelyat

Well, I don't have an OBi202, I have an OBi100, so that option is not available to me. Looking at the firmware update on the forum, I see this:

Quote- Google Voice Multi-Ring: Use the same Google account on multiple OBi202 devices. Incoming calls to the associated Google Voice number will ring all OBi202 endpoints and the and the stand-alone Google Talk app (Gmail browser-based phone calling excluded).

In practice, it seems like the OBi and gtalk are cooperating nicely, as long as I don't expect gtalk to ring on incoming calls.  I seem to even be able to make browser-based calls, which seem to be coming from my GV phone number, as expected.

QBZappy

Quote from: feelyat on August 26, 2013, 01:26:45 PM
I seem to even be able to make browser-based calls, which seem to be coming from my GV phone number, as expected.

"browser-based calls" you say! Well don't forget the big green "Call OBi" button. It can be configured to make calls as well. It is "the" way to make "browser-based calls".

I was going for a new personal record inserting "quotes". I think I set a new personal best!  :)

QBZappy

Funny that this other post came up. Here is the opposite of your experience. Obvious conclusion is that YMMV.

Chat line on my PC doesn't ring
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6537.msg0;topicseen#new

feelyat

QuoteFunny that this other post came up. Here is the opposite of your experience. Obvious conclusion is that YMMV.

Hmm. That's not how I read it.

What he said:
QuoteAfter installing the Obi with Google Voice, all works perfectly except that when I'm signed in to Gmail and receive an inbound call, my PC doesn't ring, only the physical phone rings.

What I said:
QuoteIn practice, it seems like the OBi and gtalk are cooperating nicely, as long as I don't expect gtalk to ring on incoming calls.

I don't see our M Ving at all -- it sounds like we're seeing the same thing.  The only difference is that @Spotlight over there sees it as a problem that his PC doesn't ring, and I don't.  I just want to make sure that my outgoing gtalk webcalls will continue to work.  Sounds like nobody knows for sure.