News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help please with which Obi(s) to buy

Started by myhummingbirds, September 08, 2013, 02:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myhummingbirds

My goal:

1) one dedicated fax line using one google voice number connected directly to a fax machine.

2) one dedicated voice line using another google voice number connected directly to a phone.

Which would be the best Obi, or Obis, to buy for this setup?

Another question if you don't mind... If I dump the landline, do I need to sign up for some sort of 911 service as well as the obi(s) and 2 google voice numbers? 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rick

All your questions are answered in the info OBi has on their site and in the forums.

If you keep the landline, only the 110 meets your needs.

If you want two GV numbers and E911, you need the 202 for three providers.

Or, program the local dispatch number into the OBi and not have E911.

Shale

I would use OBi202 to give you 2 lines and 4 service providers. Two SPs would be GV. One would be Anveo 911. One is spare.

myhummingbirds

Thanks very much! That's exactly the info I needed to know to set up my little system. Sorry if it had been answered elsewhere, I did read tons of posts, but not the right ones I guess.

CLTGreg

Quote from: myhummingbirds on September 08, 2013, 01:54:36 PM
Thanks very much! That's exactly the info I needed to know to set up my little system. Sorry if it had been answered elsewhere, I did read tons of posts, but not the right ones I guess.

I went with the 202 and an OBiLINE because I have "POTS" still under contract for a few more months. It works good and I use Anveo for E911. I use a free Call Centric line when I need to test incoming calls. It's just easy. I debated between the 202 and the 200 because I don't need the router but the price difference is so little I figured why not lock out features in case I change my mind.

I haven't done any faxing through it but I could try. I have used Anveo for faxing which is free for incoming and 1C per minute outbound in the U.S.

myhummingbirds

Good info Greg.  Sounds like the 202 is the way to go.  And I'll play around with the faxing. I did read somewhere that the baud rate on the Obi should be set to 14.4K, I think it was, in order for the Obi + GV to work for faxing.

I can check out the Anveo to fax if worse comes to worse. That won't break the bank! Anything to cut my landline that I never use except to fax.

Shale

Quote from: myhummingbirds on September 08, 2013, 10:50:27 PM
I did read somewhere that the baud rate on the Obi should be set to 14.4K, I think it was, in order for the Obi + GV to work for faxing.

That 14.4K Kb would be a setting on the fax machine-- not the OBi. That may not be needed with all fax machines.

myhummingbirds

Thanks for the clarification.  You guys rock!