News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outbound voice sounds choppy during online backups

Started by djc6, September 19, 2013, 07:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djc6

I have an Obi110.  The other person's voice has always been crystal clear, never had an issue.  However, I've had people say several times that my voice is quite choppy and cannot be understood.  This seems to correspond with when one of my computers is running an online (offsite) backup via Backblaze.

I have a 30Mbps down, 5Mbps up connection and I limit backblaze to 2.5Mbps, so there is plenty of bandwidth left over.  Whats going on here?  If I find the computer in the house doing a backup and pause backblaze, the other party on the phone call stops complaining about my voice immediately.

I have an Apple Time Capsule as a router so I'm limited in the QoS on the router options, but why would I need to anyways with so much available uplink bandwith.  Is this a 'buffer bloat' issue with my provider Time Warner?

androidfonefan

Quote from: djc6 on September 19, 2013, 07:29:06 PM
I have an Obi110.  The other person's voice has always been crystal clear, never had an issue.  However, I've had people say several times that my voice is quite choppy and cannot be understood.  This seems to correspond with when one of my computers is running an online (offsite) backup via Backblaze.

I have a 30Mbps down, 5Mbps up connection and I limit backblaze to 2.5Mbps, so there is plenty of bandwidth left over.  Whats going on here?  If I find the computer in the house doing a backup and pause backblaze, the other party on the phone call stops complaining about my voice immediately.

I have an Apple Time Capsule as a router so I'm limited in the QoS on the router options, but why would I need to anyways with so much available uplink bandwith.  Is this a 'buffer bloat' issue with my provider Time Warner?

Sounds to me like the software (backblaze) is creating a conflict situation on the network (your LAN).
Not all hardware or software play nice together. Or it could be a situation of just how you have everything hooked up at the Modem/router.
So in an effort to help out. Can you describe your hook up. Is it a modem that has a router hooked in to it and the Obi is hooked in to the router? or is it a Modem Router in one with the Obi plugged in? or do you by chance have more than one router in use hooked up to the same modem.

My setup is, Modem with a router hooked up to it with another router hooked in to the first one. With two PCs a Ooma and my Obi all plugged in and no problems. Some times it is as easy ans switching whats plugged in to what and rebooting your modem and routers starting I believe at the modem and working out to the devices so the modem can see the new chain of devices.
If you just unplug a device and plug it back up in a new order many times it will bugger up the LAN.

djc6

My setup:

Motorola SB6141 Cable Modem <--- Apple Time Capsule Router <--- Obi110 and wired/wireless clients

The SB6141 is just a vanilla modem, no router capabilities.  I originally was given a gateway/modem by Time Warner, but I was experiencing double NAT and other issues, so I bought my own plain modem - saved on the monthly lease feee too.

Rick