News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Severe quailty issue using Obi110 and GV with WebEx

Started by LeeG, September 20, 2013, 08:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeG

I've been using my 110 configured with Google Voice for a couple months now. Generally, I think the sound quality has been good.  However, I often get complaints when I use it dialed into a WebEx session. Sometimes its so bad that I have to drop the call and dial in on my cell.

At first I thought it was because I was sharing my screen and there was too much outbound bandwidth being consumed.  I upgraded my internet to 30 MB download/5 MB upload, which should be plenty of bandwidth.  I also noticed that it doesn't matter if I'm sharing my screen or not. The issue does seem to be isolated to conference calls over WebEx.

I don't know if I have a network issue, it's an OBI110 issue or somehow related to GV.  I briefly tried configuring QoS on the 110 and it didn't seem to help, assuming I had it configured properly. That's when I decided to upgrade the internet speed.

Any help or suggestions for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. I use WEbEx alot and this is a major issue for me.

Thanks.

Everton

Quote from: LeeG on September 20, 2013, 08:23:09 AM
I briefly tried configuring QoS on the 110 and it didn't seem to help, assuming I had it configured properly. That's when I decided to upgrade the internet speed.

Thanks.

Really?  How does one configure QoS on the 110?  I thought you configure QoS on Primary Router?

LeeG

I'm sorry, my bad. Yes, it was on the router.

To add my own follow-up. I just did a test with someone using WebEx and they said I was very clear. Earlier this morning, I was told it was terrible and couldn't be understood.

I'm wondering if there could be some LAN network traffic that randomly affects things. Any suggestions from anyone on how to best diagnose something like that?

Additional data point: I have several security cameras that stream mostly low-res video on the LAN. If I remember right, they're all streamed into a secondary router that's bridged from my primary router that the Obi is connected to.

ipse

1. Personally I never had issues with this EXACT scenario (Webex through GV)
2. Your problems seem clearly related to your network traffic. Not sure how inclined you are to start looking into QoS, but that's where I would start. I run Tomato Shibby 110 on my main router and gave Obi110 the highest priority. I don't see any impact when downloading or streaming from my IP cams.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain