News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Routers: buy separate router or use OBI 202?

Started by Lafong, September 25, 2013, 11:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lafong

I have a single PC household with no internal network. I've always just used a cable modem and decent security practices, with no issues. I connect my modem to the PC by Ethernet.

If I went with OBI, my requirements would be simple. I have one 1990s style corded Panasonic phone with built in answerer, connected to a land line. No cell phones. No other handsets.

I need that one phone to receive and send reliably, with a minimum of extra functionality. If I can't give up the land line, OBI would be pointless.

I gather I need a router and have zero router knowledge. Offhand, I'm wondering if a discrete router would be preferable to the router in the 202 and might let me use a cheaper OBI device like the 100 model. Any particular advantage to either method, given my requirements?

If a separate router might be preferable, what inexpensive, reliable, and easily configured unit would you recommend? I don't need anything fancy or a lot of ports, but I'm pretty much a babe in the woods on routers.

Shale

You could plug the OBi202 into the modem, and plug the computer into the OBi202.

I don't know if you will need to change any default settings to let the computer work immediately. Do reboot the modem after unplugging the computer. You had a technical disclaimer. Understand this: most people put their OBis behind a router. There will only be a few posters who have use the OBi202 router. I would try it, but my modem has a built-in router and there is no setting to make it behave like just a modem. Your way may improve QOS, but I don't know if that will take changing settings.

If you bought a separate router, it would probably also provide WiFi. If you don't use WiFi now, your guests probably would use it.

Lafong

Quote from: Shale on September 25, 2013, 01:29:55 PM
You could plug the OBi202 into the modem, and plug the computer into the OBi202.

I don't know if you will need to change any default settings to let the computer work immediately. Do reboot the modem after unplugging the computer. You had a technical disclaimer. Understand this: most people put their OBis behind a router. There will only be a few posters who have use the OBi202 router.

Do you specifically mean connect in this manner:

Blue Internet port on OBi 202 connected to my cable modem which does not include a router.

Yellow LAN port on OBi 202 connected to PC.

??

I have downloaded the quickstart guide and it makes no specific reference to the yellow LAN port in its 3 steps (A, B, C).

Not sure I follow your comment about my "technical disclaimer".

Offhand, I'm wondering why they put a router function in the OBi 202 if, as you say, few posters use it.

Is it known to work well or not when used in a setup that contains no other router?

Thanks.

Shale

>Do you specifically mean connect in this manner:
>
>Blue Internet port on OBi 202 connected to my cable modem which
>does not include a router.
>
>Yellow LAN port on OBi 202 connected to PC.

Yes.

>I have downloaded the quickstart guide and it makes no specific
>reference to the yellow LAN port in its 3 steps (A, B, C).

You will need to use the Admin Guide. Good timing: the updated version was made available today: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6688.msg42270

>
>Not sure I follow your comment about my "technical disclaimer".

I was referring to "I [...] have zero router knowledge". You did not say you were not capable of learning, and I expect you will do fine. I look forward to your reports.

>
>Offhand, I'm wondering why they put a router function in the OBi
>202 if, as you say, few posters use it.

I would think they expected more to use it. The idea of having the OBi get first dibs on the outbound internet capacity sure seems like a desirable thing.

>
>Is it known to work well or not when used in a setup that contains
>no other router?

It has worked for others. We had one poster who posted fairly detailed good results. He used an unmanaged switch on the LAN port to give more internet ports. Putting just the computer in there should work great if you don't need more ports.

Lafong

Shale:

Thanks for continued comments.

Re: your comments about admin guide. I have downloaded the new version, but do I take your comment to mean that the more traditional online setup by logging in to Obitalk is doomed because of some peculiarity in my configuration??

Or do you just mean, I should keep the admin guide around for general purposes?

Contemplating getting a $30 wired router at Amazon or Newegg if that would let me step down from the OBi 202 to the 100. Am I correct that the 100 could handle a Googletalk connection AND a Callcentric 911 connection? If so, why would I need the 202, with its 4 connections? I'm a one desktop PC, one phone, one phone number, one human, no cell phone household, with no need for extras beyond call screening, voicemail, and 911. Nor any need at all for wireless anything.

Of course, the big leap is being willing to give up the traditional land line from my ISP, since I have NO experience with VoIP or router hell. My current phone setup has been down perhaps 5 hours in the last 20 years. I guess I'd better be able to settle for noticeably less with VoIP.

Shale

If you were to set up the OBi202 router, you would refer to the admin guide.

The OBi100 will do what you are asking for. We don't know what kind of internet connection you have. A call will consume about 100 Kb/s of bandwidth each way. If the computer is blasting out traffic, that may cause some effects on your conversation. If that becomes a problem, you will want to get a router with good QOS to throttle the computer. I don't have to do that myself.

Ask your friends; they have routers like you are planning to order in a drawer or closet, having upgraded to fancier routers. Beg or borrow one of those to get started.