News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Internet speed cut down after OBi202

Started by cut2run, September 27, 2013, 10:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cut2run

Hello everyone,

Looking for help in my situation. I have the setup of DSL internet and provider serve me with 15Mbs downstream. I have D-Link 520B ADSL2+ modem and if I connect directly to the computer I'm getting exactly 15Mbs speed for downstream. When I connect my OBi202 in router mode after the modem and from it to the computer the Internet speed is cut on the half and I am getting 7-8Mbs constantly.
I wouldn't post the request for help, if I would find any answers (I went through the forum before).

Please note I did set the OBi Ethernet port to 100 mb/s full duplex as suggested in one of the thread, it didn't help.

Any suggestion?
Very appreciated.

Shale

I have not tried this. So this is ideas, not experience. Maybe I will try bridge mode on the OBi having looked at some information in the new http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.htm Your test results are the first speed results that I have seen. Interesting, if not promising.

I think you will either want to put the D-link into Bridging mode, or you will want to put the OBi202 into bridging mode.

1. What modes are you in for the test you already reported? I think the default is Router for the OBi, and you may be doing double-NAT. That may not be as bad as some think, but maybe it would contribute part of the speed loss that you see.
2. What results do  you get when just one and then the other is in bridge mode?

This is from the guide:
QuoteInstead of acting as a router, the OBi202/OBi302 can be set to work as a 3-port switch. One of the ports is internal and is used by the OBi202/OBi302 CPU only, while the two external ports (labelled as Internet and LAN) can be connected to other devices. This mode of operation is known as the bridge mode. In this mode, all the router features, such DHCP server, firewall and port forwarding, will not take effect. The QoS policy in this case is hardwired such that the native voice and related traffic will always have highest priority (this behavior is not configurable). Furthermore, accessing the OBi device management web pages from either of the two external ports is always allowed.

cut2run

Thank you for the quick response Shale!

I would like to keep my Obi as the router point and the modem in the bridge mode, so the modem is just a piece of hardware and this is how I tested and set it up. All the initial description is related to this setup as follow ...

-modem in bridge mode connected directly to the computer (the computer set direct Internet PPPoE connection) gives me 15Mbs

- modem in bridge mode connected to OBi (OBi in router mode and has all WAN PPPoE settings) and from OBi connected to the computer, which is just LAN connection from OBi, gives me 7-8Mbs

I did not try any other combination and I'm glad you mention one. When Im home I will set the modem into router mode as the Internet point and set the OBi into bridge mode. I am very appreciated for suggestion. By the way I still prefer to have modem in bridge mode, but well if the other way will work out I'll settle on it.

I'll post back the results as soon as I get them.

cut2run

OK, this was long evening (night). I followed the suggestion to set my modem as the internet point and use the OBi behind it in bridge mode and it paid off and worked out very well. I've got my full speed of 15Mbs. I went further and disable NAT on my modem, so it's just keep alive as the PPPoE internet point. For the OBi I used DHCP mode as the router (this is default configuration as I can recall), And bingo I have my speed. Just re-configured back my phone services and I'm done.
It is better to use OBi in router mode so you don't need to mess with port forwarding and I like it.

Thank you very much for tip, it worked out very well.