News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Services that can port landlines other than Callcentric

Started by rickame, September 29, 2013, 10:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickame

I thought I was all set to use the Obi100 but I've wanted to keep my landline number. I looked into Callcentric that seemed to be a fine solution, the site said it could port my landline and give me e911, way cool! However, a few days later, the site said my landline could not be ported. I've written Callcentric three times (get auto email reply saying they will get back with me and never have...thought they were a good company, but not good communication yet). Can anyone tell me if there is a similar SIP service that can I may be able to port my landline to and use with the OBI. Unfortunately, Google Voice doesn't serve my exchange area, so I will use GV as one line for calls out and another SIP/VOIP as the other for calls in by folks who are familiar with my regular landline number. Help appreciated, Rick

Lavarock7

Try Voip.Ms, but they may also tell you they can't port the number. Email them at support@voip.ms and ask with the specific number, or create an account and test the portability.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Johnny

I'll second what Lavarock7 said.

Give Voip.ms a shot.  I have an account with them and Callcentric.

Callcentric usually has pretty prompt support help, so I'm not sure why they haven't gotten back to you or explained why your number couldn't be ported.

I actually like both companies but am starting to use my Voip.ms account a lot more than my CC one.

BTW, thanks Lavarock7 for the free porting tip at Voip.ms.  I usually just check the blog and didn't see that they snuck free porting in on the portability page.

I just started another port and and possibly might add a third DID.

I can't understand why CC and some of the other providers don't offer free porting more often.

Good luck OP.

Shale

http://www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=faq_did_portin "You can port a phone number in US or Canada to Anveo free of charge. The phone number must be ported to 'Personal Unlimited' or 'Office Unlimited' rate plans with 12 month pre-payment."

Johnny

Quote from: Shale on September 30, 2013, 10:11:00 AM
http://www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=faq_did_portin "You can port a phone number in US or Canada to Anveo free of charge. The phone number must be ported to 'Personal Unlimited' or 'Office Unlimited' rate plans with 12 month pre-payment."

Key words being 12 month prepayment.

Still a good deal in my opinion.  I almost ported a number to Anveo, but in the end, I had too much trouble navigating their site and understanding all their features and options.  Way too confusing for me.

I believe Callcentric has the easiest to understand web site of all of them.

Even for me ;D

Shale

Quote from: Johnny on September 30, 2013, 02:29:54 PM

Still a good deal in my opinion.  I almost ported a number to Anveo, but in the end, I had too much trouble navigating their site and understanding all their features and options.  Way too confusing for me.
I know what you mean. I was skeptical that there was some fine print that was going to get me. There wasn't. The 12 months prepay was $24, since I am not a business. The $0.80 monthly for 911 is not prepay.

Outbound minutes are extra, but most of those I do with GV.

Johnny

Quote from: Shale on September 30, 2013, 02:44:05 PM
Quote from: Johnny on September 30, 2013, 02:29:54 PM

I know what you mean. I was skeptical that there was some fine print that was going to get me. There wasn't. The 12 months prepay was $24, since I am not a business. The $0.80 monthly for 911 is not prepay.

Outbound minutes are extra, but most of those I do with GV.

I wasn't really too concerned with the costs involved in setting up an account at Anveo, like I  said, the website was too confusing to me and I couldn't figure out how to do basic tasks.  They use terms, that in my mind, are too confusing for the average guy.

I still don't understand why more providers don't offer free porting.  I assume there are costs involved to them to do so, but once a number is ported in, don't they make up these costs in the end?

I really wanted to port a few numbers to Callcentric but they wanted like $25.00, to port a number.  Too much, in my opinion, so I went with Voip.ms.

Again, as I said, Callcentric has the cleanest, easiest to understand site, out of all of the providers I checked out.

Too bad they don't offer free porting once in a while.........