News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Since installing OBi, can't receive calls in Gmail

Started by bucksitter, October 05, 2013, 04:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucksitter

This isn't a biggie, but here's the story:  I have a successfully working installation with my OBi 100 and Google Voice.  Before I installed this I occasionally used Calling in Gmail to make and receive calls using a headset, which I liked when sitting with my laptop and browsing (lets me keep hands on the keyboard).  And of course I know that Calling in Gmail uses the Google Chat forwarding option in Google Voice.

Since installing the OBi device I hadn't had occasion to use Calling in Gmail, but last night I did, expecting it to ring as it always used to as long as I had Gmail open and the phone app working in it.  But it didn't, and all the other devices I have forwarded to from GV were ringing.  I picked up the call on my trusty cordless attached to the phone lines that the OBi drives, talked a bit, then tried to switch the call to another phone using the * key.  My cell phones rang but the computer with Gmail open did not.  So I told my friend to hang up and I'd call him right back.  I was able to use Calling in Gmail (the phone app) to call out with no problem.

So is the reason for this the fact that the OBi setup as well as Calling in Gmail both rely on the forwarding from Google Chat, and somehow the OBi takes precedence?  I can understand that, but it'd be nice to somehow easily be able to switch between the two when you have a preference for which to be active, for whatever reason.

Shale

bucksitter

Thanks, Shale!  That was exactly the info I needed!

Crow550

I have an even easier solution.

In Gmail in Google Chat. Click on Options (Where the green camera icon is)

Select "Try The New Hangouts".

Should work just fine. The new Hangouts is Google Talk(with Google Voice calling), Google Plus and all the other Google chat type services (coming soon full G-Voice SMS support.) all rolled into one.

If you use Chrome snag the Hangouts extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hangouts/nckgahadagoaajjgafhacjanaoiihapd Also Google Voice: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-voice-by-google/kcnhkahnjcbndmmehfkdnkjomaanaooo

Hangouts easily fixes this issue.

Shale

Quote from: Crow550 on October 08, 2013, 02:51:27 AM

Do you have reason to believe that will not cause problems with the OBi?

Crow550

Quote from: Shale on October 08, 2013, 04:34:00 AM
Quote from: Crow550 on October 08, 2013, 02:51:27 AM

Do you have reason to believe that will not cause problems with the OBi?

If it caused problems I wouldn't be posting it!  ::)

Go try it yourself. Have someone call you and try some calls out.  :P

You can easily switch back to the old Google Talk chat in Gmail too. However Hangouts fixes a lot of issues. ;)