News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV VM & Obi110 assistance requested, please ?!

Started by vtsnaab, October 06, 2013, 02:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

My Obi110 has been wonderful for quite some time now.

I have 2 GV numbers, only one of which rings and the other is what I use publicly without hesitation.
The 2nd 'public' number is also my outgoing number so as to keep the 1st number private.

This has served me very well.
BUT=> just recently GV made some security changes and will no longer allow me to call in from my own number to check messages and will not accept key entry of an attached number for authentication either.
I posted on the GV forum - but the only response I got told me it was my problem/my fault and to ditch GV.

My way to rectify this is to get VM via CallCentric and an IPKall number.

My problem/query, please:

Is there any way I can re-route or disable my incoming calls from going to GV VM by way of the Obi110's settings ??

Thanks for any help !!!

PS:
I am editing this posting because I was able to find **1 in the manual which solves one part of the problem, but if I dial in from a phone at a friend's house I still need to be able to get into my VM somehow and GV is refusing my log ins from other phones now.

Shale

Quote from: vtsnaab on October 06, 2013, 02:17:44 PM
Is there any way I can re-route or disable my incoming calls from going to GV VM by way of the Obi110's settings ??

You could answer the call with an answer machine, but I think the deal is that you are using your phone port for your other line. So you would need another OBi to give you another port. Alternatively, you could transfer the call in 20 seconds to something that will answer immediately. If the call is not answered within 25 seconds, it goes to GV voicemail.

The other thing to consider is to use this method for your anonymous outgoing calls:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5451.0
You will like that one.

Rick

I hate when people post inaccurate information.  

On October 1st Google Voice made a change in how you obtain your messages.  They posted CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS as to what this meant and how to adapt to it, which if you logged into Google Voice were clearly displayed and you had to click on the box to remove it.

In short, you click on Settings and then the PHONES tab, then click on EDIT under the Forwards calls to: Google Chat, on the Voicemail Access option pick NO, then Save.

This allows you to call your home number (the one that works on your OBi) FROM YOUR HOME number and not do anything to access voicemail.  It works perfectly.  I just did it.

You USED to have to put in your phone number then your PIN, but that is now removed.

Lavarock7

If that option takes your caller ID and compares it with a number stored in the Google account and allows you in without a pin, then I say "bad idea". Always have a pin and make sure it is prompted for.

This is one way which people easily hack into a voicemail account or cellphone account. You call a number with a spoofed caller-id showing the same number. The system assumes it is the owner calling in from the device they registered and own and if there is no password, they are in.

Example, you dial 555-1000 and send caller id of 555-1000. If the system prompts for a password or pin you hang up. If there is no password or pin, you read the messages, dial 2 to make a new call, download messages, etc. The worst case would be to send SMS messages to the address book saying "I just got arrested for something I didn't do. I will spend the night in jail unless you can western union some money to my lawyer". Since the message came to a friend by name, from the correct cellphone number, many people would go send the money.

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

vtsnaab

My goodness:
Quote from: Rick on October 07, 2013, 04:55:07 AM
I hate when people post inaccurate information.  

I am glad not to have such strong reactions to mere information.
(And also glad to be a mere poster with questions and no closer to such destructive emotions than that...)

I believe you are referring to this=>

QuoteOn October 1st Google Voice made a change in how you obtain your messages.  They posted CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS as to what this meant and how to adapt to it, which if you logged into Google Voice were clearly displayed and you had to click on the box to remove it.

In short, you click on Settings and then the PHONES tab, then click on EDIT under the Forwards calls to: Google Chat, on the Voicemail Access option pick NO, then Save.

This allows you to call your home number (the one that works on your OBi) FROM YOUR HOME number and not do anything to access voicemail.  It works perfectly.  I just did it.

You USED to have to put in your phone number then your PIN, but that is now removed.
Which leads to this=>

Which I've tried every possible way - and still it refuses to let me call in for my VMs and tells me that my VERIFIED numbers are incorrect.

As I said - something over at GV is broken - at least on my account & with my numbers, which otherwise all work perfectly.

vtsnaab

Thank You Shale:
Quote from: Shale on October 06, 2013, 08:16:51 PM
You could answer the call with an answer machine, but I think the deal is that you are using your phone port for your other line. So you would need another OBi to give you another port. Alternatively, you could transfer the call in 20 seconds to something that will answer immediately. If the call is not answered within 25 seconds, it goes to GV voicemail.

The other thing to consider is to use this method for your anonymous outgoing calls:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5451.0
You will like that one.
I really do not wish to block outgoing CID and I'm quite happy to let folks see my 'public' number.

As said - I can easily preface check-in calls to GV from here with **1 and get right in.
That is not the problem I am concerned with at all.

What I need is access from 'foreign' phones, like when calling from behind a PBX, from a pay phone, or a friend's house on their landline.

I have even set CC's VM answering to it's lowest (5 seconds) and GV VM still grabs my calls !!!

Frankly - this very minute I would port my 'private' GV number over to CallCentric in a heartbeat IF the fees were not a problem - their service seems very good and their support is great too.
I am unemployed and broke from long-term illness and simply cannot spend $ that I do not have.

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply intended in such a helpful way - it is greatly appreciated !!!

Lavarock7 - thank you for pitching in as well.
I wish to solve my calling in problem and not get involved in security-centered stuff; I am a near perfect nobody, and just want to be able to get any VMs that arrive if/when I am not at home.
It is really that simple.
(And yes - I do have a pay-by-minute cellular that I really cannot afford and it barely works here in Vermont. It is kept for emergency use only.)

vtsnaab

I have looked carefully at my settings in my desire to further defeat GV VM from 'stealing' incoming calls which I miss answering, and see these settings:

This would help avoid the GV log-in snafu by allowing me to re-route calls at home to my CallCentric number which I can easily log in to.

Would anyone instruct me on the usage of these settings for that, please ??

Thanks.

dircom

Ok, I called one of my GV #'s from my wife's phone... it asked me to put in the pin
then got an error message that said "the # I was calling from was not associated with the GV acct",
and asked me to enter one of the forwarding numbers.  I entered the CC # it is forwarded to... and got GV voicemail

I don't know why GV is picking up before CC, but in the meantime, you can access your messages via phone
or the internet

vtsnaab

Perhaps I have not been clear enough ???!

I have been using GV and an Obi110 for YEARS now - I know how to use GV, thank you.

CallCentric *is* already set up to take my GV incoming calls, thanks.

Trouble is GV is *still* grabbing those calls before CC's VM can grab them.
I have tested extensively and even CC's support folks affirm it is a GV problem after I tried ALL what they told me to do to fix this.

*IF* the $$$ for an answering machine was no trouble - instead I'd simply spend it to port that GV number over to CC and this query would become moot.

I do not have an answering machine - nor has illness left me with extra $$$ - so I need to solve this with what is FREE and at hand.

Please see all the former posts in this thread before RE-posting suggestions already made by others.

Part of my solution looks like it could be had in the settings shown in my reply #6, above; but I do not know the correct ways to use those settings.

Thanks.