News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Weird Issue: FAX Tone Pickup

Started by ferricoxide, October 11, 2013, 08:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferricoxide

Last Christmas, I set my mom up with an Obi110 with GV (outbound) and IPKall/CallCentric (inbound). Things went well for rather a long time. However, a few months ago, when people would dial her GV number, if she didn't answer, people would sometimes get a FAX tone rather than her GV voicemail.

Tonight, I was finally able to diagnose the source of the FAX tone: turns out its her Obi.

I started troubleshooting by dialing the numbers in her GV configuration. First, I direct-dialed her cellphone: it rang to voicemail as expected. I then called her IPKall number (which forwards to CallCentric which, in turn, rings her Obi: I got a FAX tone. Next, I did a VOIP call straight to her Callcentric account to verify that it wasn't an IPKall issue: I got the FAX tone. Finally, I did an Obi-to-Obi call - to eliminate/confirm CallCentric as the problem: I got the FAX tone.

I've logged into her device to look what might be amiss. I'm not seeing anything that would account for it forwarding to a FAX device.

At this point, I'm at a loss: I'm reasonably sure it's an issue with her Obi, but I can't figure out *how* it could be that.

Shale

I don't know why you think it is the OBi.

Try calling the number from a fax machine and send a fax. I suspect Callcentric will email you with the fax.   8)

Lavarock7

I first thought that CallCentric could only do Fax or a call, but it is possible to decide based upon caller ID. Have you looked closely at all the options related to fax at CallCentric?

I agree that sending a fax will probably get you an email from CallCentric.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

ferricoxide

Quote from: Shale on October 11, 2013, 08:36:59 PM
I don't know why you think it is the OBi.

Try calling the number from a fax machine and send a fax. I suspect Callcentric will email you with the fax.   8)

Tool number one in any troubleshooting is to exercise the basic process of elimination.

Dialing the various chains configured under GV, I determined that it was something in the Obi-chain (rather than with her cellular line). By direct-dialing the Obi chain from the top of the chain down to the bottom, it peels off each link of the chain. When dialing Obi-to-Obi, I'm not involving IPKall and I'm not involving CallCentric. The only thing involved is my Obi, her Obi and the Obi dial-network. Since I know my devices isn't exhibiting the behavior, that leaves either the network or her end-point.

Now all I gotta do is figure out if she did something silly like buy a new all-in-one printer and attach its RJ11 port to one of phone outlets (or more likely, that Geek Squad did, since she tends to involve them any time she buys new electronics).

Shale

Quote from: ferricoxide on October 12, 2013, 04:46:24 AM

Now all I gotta do is figure out if she did something silly like buy a new all-in-one printer and attach its RJ11 port to one of phone outlets (or more likely, that Geek Squad did, since she tends to involve them any time she buys new electronics).

All the more reason to fax something to that number. Maybe it prints out on your mother's printer.