News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outbound Calling 3rd or 4th Route?

Started by PatrickRyan, October 17, 2013, 03:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatrickRyan

Greetings,

I am a complete virgin to using my Obi200. I have configured 2 separate GV accounts and 2 SIP accounts (callcentric and voip.ms). One of the GV accounts has been designated as the primary line for outbound calls. The second GV account requires a **2 prefix for outbound calls.

Is it possible to use one or both of the SIP accounts for outbound calls thus giving me a 3rd or 4th outbound option. Looked through the administration guide and only find myself confused.

So is this possible and where do I look for instructions to set it up?

Lastly is there any good reason to configure the device locally as opposed to using the web portal. If these questions are self apparent I apologize but find myself just scratching my head.

Thanks,

PR

Shale

ianobi

I'm not sure quite what you are looking for here. Prefixing calls with **3 and **4 will enable you to make calls through those respective service providers.

Trunk Groups is quite an advanced OBi subject and may be more than you want just now.

QuoteLastly is there any good reason to configure the device locally as opposed to using the web portal. If these questions are self apparent I apologize but find myself just scratching my head.

Sounds like a simple question, but not so! This question is so contentious that the argument raged long in the early days between highly respected users such as RonR and MichiganTelephone. Sadly, as a result, they both left this forum. See some of the issues here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2932.msg19408#msg19408

For what it's worth, my opinion is to stay with the Obihai recommended web portal at least until you have looked at the pros and cons in some depth. Sorry I can't give a more simple answer!

Shale

Quote from: ianobi on October 18, 2013, 06:50:42 AM
I'm not sure quite what you are looking for here. Prefixing calls with **3 and **4 will enable you to make calls through those respective service providers.

OBi200! Somehow I thought I read OBi100. Big difference. Yes, SP3 and SP4 make it fairly easy vs just possible.

PatrickRyan

ianobi and Shale,

Thanks to both for your advise. As indicated I'm as green as broccoli regarding the Obi setup.  I wasn't even sure if prefixing calls with **3 and **4 would accomplish my ends. Hence I chose to advertise my ignorance. Looks like I have some reading and tinkering to do. It's comforting to know that I can draw upon the reservoir of knowledge on this forum when drowning.