News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 ring delay

Started by Gavo, October 22, 2013, 04:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavo

Hello,

I have two sip accounts on an OBI202, one primarily for incoming calls, the other for outgoing calls. The OBI202 in effect is the source of the incoming lines for an analogue pbx  (phone 1 = line 1, phone 2 = line 2).
If I set incoming calls to ring on both phone ports then obviously both line indicators light up and the customer assumes that there is two incoming calls.
If I set to ring on only one line port then if that line is in use a caller from outside gets the "cloud answering service" of the SIP provider of the incoming line.

The ideal fix would be to introduce a ringing delay on one phone port to give a chance for the other port to be answered, e.g. 5 to 6 seconds.

Is there a way to achieve this ?

Regards

Gavin

azrobert

I don't have an OBi202, but I think the following will work:

Voice Service -> SP service

X_InboundCallRoute: ph
CallForwardOnBusyEnable: Checked
CallForwardOnBusyNumber: ph2
CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable: Checked
CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber: ph2

Gavo

Thanks for that.

I'll pop one up on a test bench and see what happens.

Regards

Gavin

azrobert

If you can send the call to the PBX via URI there is another way.
The following will have a 5 second delay.

X_InboundCallRoute: {ph,sp2(100@192.168.1.100:5060;d=5)}

I couldn't get the delay to work on a Phone Port.

Shale

How about something like within your  SP1 > X_InboundCallRoute

Where it currently says {ph1} (for single phone ring) or it says {ph1,ph2} (to ring both at the same time) turn that into
{ph1,ph2;d=5}

The intent is that you delay ringing ph2 until ph1 has rung for 5 seconds. Same as the other suggestions, but keeps it simple...

Gavo

Thanks all.

I've got another 202 being delivered tomorrow. I'll try these out and let you know.

Regards

Gavin

Gavo

The ring delay works 100% but the Call Forward on Busy produces a real peculiar outcome.
I can get a call in progress on phone 1 and leave it off-hook (a free info line) and sure enough when I call the number of the SIP account it rings phone 2 but also sends ringing current into phone 1 so whilst you can hear the info line you also get a distorted ringing over the top of it.
I would have thought the OBI was clever enough to realise not to do this.

Any ideas as to how to stop this ringing ?
The divert on busy would tick the box if it could work correctly.

Regards

Gavin

Gavo

Spoke too soon regarding the ringing delay.

If you try and answer the call from phone 1 before phone 2 starts ringing you can seize the line and answer the call. Once phone 2 starts ringing you can only seize the line on phone 2, phone 1 simply cannot seize the line - ringing current simply keeps being sent to it. And if phone 1 is off hook and you answer from phone 2 you hear dial tone from phone 1 over the top of the conversation on phone 2 (call returns to normal when phone 1 replaced on receiver).

Surely this cannot be standard behaviour.

Gavin

Lavarock7

Quote from: Gavo on October 24, 2013, 06:57:07 AM
The ring delay works 100% but the Call Forward on Busy produces a real peculiar outcome.
I can get a call in progress on phone 1 and leave it off-hook (a free info line) and sure enough when I call the number of the SIP account it rings phone 2 but also sends ringing current into phone 1 so whilst you can hear the info line you also get a distorted ringing over the top of it.
I would have thought the OBI was clever enough to realise not to do this.

Any ideas as to how to stop this ringing ?
The divert on busy would tick the box if it could work correctly.

Regards

Gavin

The Obi202 has two phone ports. The connector for phone port 1 has both phone 1 and phone 2 connections in it for use with a two-line phone. A two line phone would require 4 wires in the cable from the Obi port to the phone.

Phone port 2 only has connections for phone line 2.

I think that you may be using 4 wires in the cable from the phone port 1 to the phone you are using and perhaps there is short in the wire or the telephone is crossing the signals back to line 1. (Another possibility is that the prongs inside the female connecter are touching - not as likely as my first guess).

As an example, Hewlett Packard Fax machines specifically say to use the supplied telephone wire they ship between the fax and the place it connects to (it only has 2 wires) and is probably required for a similar reason.

Look through your junk drawer and see if you have a telephone wire with only 2 wires instead of 4, and see if that stops the buzzing on calls.

Radioshack sells 2 wire cables, there are adapters that only have 2 wires and in a pinch, some people just cut the outer 2 wires from a 4 wire cable.

If you can swap out the phone and/or wire to it for a 2 wire, see if that solves the problem.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Gavo

It's always the simple things !

I'm in the UK and one of the BT100 (UK plug) to RJ11 was indeed a 4 wire converter, I swapped it out for a 2 wire version and it was solved.

Thank you mate.

However - I may be getting picky but...do you know if the delay in ringing phone 2 can be shortened - must be about 4 or 5 rings (in my headset of my phone ringing in) before the phone attached to the phone 2 port starts to ring.

Cheers

Gavin

Shale

Lavarock7 did a nice job with the symptoms!

How about the delay from "headset of my phone ringing in" to the phone plugged into phone 1 jack? Is that 5 seconds shorter than for the phone on jack 2, as we would expect?

What is "headset of my phone ringing in"? Are you ringing in from Skype or some such?

Gavo

The delay is on the 202 somewhere. When calling in from my cellphone as soon as I hear ringing a quick "beep" is heard on phone1 (and the CLID is displayed), then after hearing a further few rings, phone 2 starts to ring.

Cheers

Gavin

Gavo

Another observation, the delay is directly attributable to the "CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount" (even if it isn't selected). I noticed this when I set the delay to 5 rings and the phone 2 (with phone 1 busy) took even longer to ring, set the delay back to the default 2 and the delay was shortened.

Played about a bit more and here is the result :-

If CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount has no value at all, then when phone1 is in use call immediately goes to phone2 with no delay whatsoever
However if phone2 is use then call just rings until phone2 clears down and then phone2 rings.

Effectively deleting this ringcount setting makes phone2 the default for incoming calls, the same effect is obtained by giving it a value of 0.

At the moment I have left the setting at 3 as a compromise setting.

Cheers

Gavin