News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No audio on outgoing calls, incoming fine

Started by C-obi, July 13, 2014, 02:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-obi

Hello,

I have a strange problem that has just cropped up after well over a year of using the Obi with no issues. Here are my symptoms. I'm flummoxed--any help would be most appreciated.

There is no audio on either end of outgoing calls. The calls ring and connect, but neither party can hear anything. Incoming calls work just fine.

Here is my setup:

-Obi202, running firmware 3.0.1 (Build: 4350).
-Connected to Apple Airport Extreme 5th gen running firmware 7.6.4.
-Airport connected to cable modem. Cable modem does not perform any NAT or other routing. NAT, DHCP etc. are all done by the Airport.
-Two Anveo accounts, one on SP1 and the other on SP2. Both show "Registered" in ObiTALK and the SIP status on the Anveo dashboard is "Online."
-LEDs on the Obi are solid green
-I can reach the Obi Echo Test server (**9 222 222 222), and I hear audio both ways.

When I make a call using either SP1 or SP2, the phone rings and the call is connected, but there is no audio. The call shows up in the Obi call history as "Ringing" and then as "Call Connected." It similar shows up in the Anveo system as a connected call.

When I receive a call there are no issues--audio is fine both ways.

The Apple Airport Extreme does not have configurable settings for SIP-ALG, and I have tried (with no luck) unchecking the X_DiscoverPublicAddress setting on the Obi as suggested in the FAQ. I have also tried some port forwarding, though I'm not entirely sure which ports I should be forwarding--X_EchoServerPort (5060) or ProxyServerPort (5010) or OutboundProxyPort or something else entirely. And I'd rather not forward ports if I don't have to.

I'm baffled!

Thanks for any suggestions...
C

C-obi

SOLVED

I managed to fix this with port forwarding. For posterity, here's the solution:

In Expert Configuration, go to Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A RTP and forward the entire range of ports between LocalPortMin and LocalPortMax to the Obi. (Repeat as needed with ITSP Profile B etc. if you have more than one service configured.)

I did not need to forward 5060.

I still wish I could find a way without port forwarding, but I'm not going to complain too much.

Mango

Thanks for posting your solution!

If you would rather keep tinkering to see if you can make it work without port forwarding, there is one more thing you can try.

Voice Services >> SPx Service >> X_UserAgentPort: 49166

49166 is a random number between 20000 and 65535.  Setting X_UserAgentPort to a number other than 5060 sometimes works around uncooperative SIP ALGs.  If the router's SIP ALG is causing the problem, this setting may make things work without port forwarding. 

If it doesn't work, you can put the forwarding of your RTP ports back in place.

gderf

If the router's SIP ALG is causing the problem it should be disabled. Most implementations of SIP ALG are known to be problematic.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.