News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Bricked OBI 110 after reboot

Started by marke190, October 30, 2013, 10:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marke190

So I got a brand new Obi 110 and set it up this week, hooked to my Google Voice account.  Worked great once I realized I had to have a gmail e-mail address as the account's primary e-mail.

This morning I was looking at my device's stats via a web page when I noticed a yellow Yield triangle with exclamation point at the top of the page saying "Reboot Required."  Clicked on it and the device is now dead.

When I plug the power cord in, the power light goes solid red for 3 seconds, then goes off and stays off.  If I press the reset button with a paper clip while the red light is on, it goes solid green for about 8 seconds, then goes off and stays off.  If I remove the paper clip while the light is solid green, it goes off immediately.  I've also tried holding the reset button for up to a minute, no difference.

Very frustrating after it worked well for two days, and I was just following the screen's request to reboot the device by clicking the Reboot button.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark E., Mexico

Shale

Connect the OBI directly to your modem, as a test, if you have one. Put the OBi in the DMZ if you don't. The purpose of these is in case the problem is connectivity rather than the OBi box.

If there is still a problem, contact OBi Support Chat.

marke190

We tried a bunch of things including a new power supply and Obi support chat agrees that it's bricked.  It's not a connectivity issue that DMZ can cure -- I can't even ping it from within the LAN.

I'm more that little upset because (a) it's brand new, (b) I had someone hand carry it from the US to Mexico, (c) it worked great for two days, and (d), I did the reboot because the device told me to.  Even my crappy NetTalk lasted two years before dying.  Two days and dead, and because of a reboot?  And no boot-time TFTP method to bring it back to life like a DD-WRT router seems like poor planning when these things are physically going to be all over the globe.  Returning it and getting a replacement is a major PITA.

Mark