News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How can I change my Callerid so my name comes up when calling another person

Started by Starnet, November 11, 2013, 01:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starnet

Love this unit but I am yet to be able to set up my obi110 so that it show my name (or whatever I program in) to another called number using the unit.

I found an area in the advanced user screen where it looks like I could add it but in won't let me input in this field.

Thank for any and all help!
Dan

drgeoff

Quote from: Starnet on November 11, 2013, 01:44:26 PM
I found an area in the advanced user screen where it looks like I could add it but in won't let me input in this field.
Not sure what you mean by "advanced user screen" but if you mean the Expert Configuration at Obitalk.com you need to clear the both the checkboxes in the 'Device Default' and 'OBiTALK Settings' columns before you can input.

CoalMinerRetired

You and your Obi have no control whatsoever on the name that appears on calls received by other people on the Public telephone network in the US and Canada.

Why? Obviously allowing this would be every kid's prank-call dream and every criminal's go to method to rip off unsuspecting consumers.

See here, where it says "The CNAM field is populated by the company that receives the call and and delivers the call to a home or office."

Starnet

Good point, never thought about the pranking issue but I am sure someone would abuse it.

Thanks for the answer.  :-X

sdb-

What you could do, and which may work, is to add your name and phone number (whatever number you are sending as the caller id when making the outgoing call) to various databases so that when the recipient carrier looks up your number, they find your name.

Problems with doing this include it may not work, and you may get on spam lists...

RFord

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on November 11, 2013, 05:06:49 PM
You and your Obi have no control whatsoever on the name that appears on calls received by other people on the Public telephone network in the US and Canada.

I don't think this statement is true.  I'm not sure which parameter is used for the OBi ATA (CallerIDName?), but for the SPA/PAP2T-NA ATA, I could set the 15-character Name field and that information would passed directly to some "Providers".  If I not mistaken, in Canada, this information is passed on to ALL providers once set on your ATA, irrespective of any form of look-up on the recipient side.  In the US, I think it is passed on to VOIP providers also.

I onced had TMO at Home Service at one location and I could call that number from my SPA3102 and whatever Name I entered on the SPA3102 got pass to the TMO AT Home Service as the CNAM.

CoalMinerRetired

I'm 100% certain this is correct for all public switched telephones (i.e., landlines) in the US and Canada.

If you need proof, search for CNAM Lookup PSTN.  The so called CNAM databases are also known by the acronym LIDB (Line Information Database).

The examples you mention sound  like VoIP to VoIP. They may use a CNAM field from the caller and not use the traditional (landline) databases, which is cheaper for them (by a fraction of a penny per call) and not exactly correct in that the called party sees whatever the calling party sends, they do not see what is in the (supposedly) controlled and regulated national CNAM/LIDB databases.

There's a layman's explanation of how making a change works here on DSL Reports. One more explanation.

VoIP.ms and Anveo are two providers that allow you to submit a change to the distributed databases at no cost to you if you are one of their subscribers.  What they do is submit a new value for the CNAM field (plus presumably many other associated fields) associated with your number to a 'central register,' and that central register sends out the change, along with hundreds of other changes for the past 24 hours (or whatever) to all the organizations subscribing to the national lists.

The central register is NeuStar, it's all somewhat opaque, evidently on purpose.