News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Do I need a static IP address?

Started by Erin, November 19, 2013, 08:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erin

My Obi202 was working beautifully, but all of a sudden it is not making calls or receiving them from my home phone, though incoming calls are still forwarded to my cell.  The warning that comes up when I try to make a call says, "Network status IP address not available--please review FAQ reason 00."

I have already done a hard reset on the phone, Obi, router and modem, but nothing has changed.  After reading many forum entries I think that I need to assign a static IP address to my Obi.  How do I do this?  Or is this what I need to do?

gderf

Is your router providing IP addresses via an enabled DHCP server?

If your OBi is configured to obtain an address via DHCP and your router isn't providing one, then it can't get a usable address.

Pick up a phone that is attached to your OBi and dial ***1 What network information is read back to you?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Erin

It says my DCHP is enabled, but IP address is unavailable.

gderf

Quote from: Erin on November 19, 2013, 08:59:24 AM
It says my DCHP is enabled, but IP address is unavailable.

That tells me that the DHCP server is not enabled on your router.

Erin

How do I enable the DHCP on my router?

Erin

In the network settings, for the IP address, it say that it should configure automatically and that it should use DHCP.  Are these set correctly?

gderf

I can't help you with that. Try to find a manual for it online somewhere.

Also verify that both ends of the ethernet cable connecting the OBi to the router are plugged in and the cable is in good condition. Swap it for another cable if you suspect it might be bad.

drgeoff

Quote from: Erin on November 19, 2013, 09:09:33 AM
In the network settings, for the IP address, it say that it should configure automatically and that it should use DHCP.  Are these set correctly?
There are two places in the router where 'DHCP' can be enabled.

1.  The WAN (Wide Area Network) side of the router needs to have an IP address.  This can be set manually to match static info given to you by your ISP or it can be obtained automatically by the router from your modem.  This is probably the use of DHCP that you have found and mentioned in your last post.

2.  Similarly, all the devices on your LAN (Local Area Network) need to have IP addresses.  You can set these manually or the devices can be set to get it automatically from your router provided that the router has its DHCP server enabled.  This router setting is independent of the one above and is probably on a different page of the router's set-up GUI.  If you can post a link to the manual for your router, someone can help you find that.

However, these settings don't just change by themselves!  If everything was fine before and the router has not been swapped out or fiddled with, you may have a hardware problem.  Anything from a  simple unplugged cable, through a damaged cable or plug to a faulty OBi or router.