News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Device or Doorstop?

Started by BillDoe, November 20, 2013, 06:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillDoe

Given the impending "disconnect" in May, coupled with what I would summarize as very disappointing performance over the last few years I've had my Obi, I am eager to hear who to establish service through asap...no need to wait until May given the lackluster service and support provided to date.

Thoughts?

gderf

I've had no trouble with my GV service at all.

Incoming GV calls will continue post May 15, 2014 via a free Callcentric DID.

Outgoing GV calls can be dialed directly or via callback now, and probably via callback post May 15, 2014.

There are so many VoIP providers that choosing one can be difficult. I gave $5.00 for 475 non-expiring minutes to CallWithUs just to play around with.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

BillDoe

It's not GV I have any problems with...it's the device which has consistently gone "offline" randomly and often multiple times a day since the day I got it. I am well past trying to trouble shoot it...banged my head against that wall long enough.

when you say "Outgoing GV calls can be dialed directly or via callback now, and probably via callback post May 15, 2014" is that something included in a subscription plan with a voip service?

gderf

Quote from: BillDoe on November 20, 2013, 07:46:00 AM
It's not GV I have any problems with...it's the device which has consistently gone "offline" randomly and often multiple times a day since the day I got it. I am well past trying to trouble shoot it...banged my head against that wall long enough.

If you suspect your OBi device as being the source of your troubles, then you will have to replace or repair it to see if that clears your troubles. What about your internet connection? If that goes up and down, so will your OBi.

Quote from: BillDoe on November 20, 2013, 07:46:00 AM
when you say "Outgoing GV calls can be dialed directly or via callback now, and probably via callback post May 15, 2014" is that something included in a subscription plan with a voip service?

No. This is normal GV capability that is in place today.

BillDoe

Obi goes offline even when my internet is fine (as indicated by laptop). Also disconnects calls after a random number of minutes...consistently

gderf

Sounds like it's defective in some way. If resetting it to the default configuration and re-configuring it doesn't solve it, consider replacing it or move on to something else.

BillDoe

been so long please remind me...do I have to go through a lengthy setup process again if I do a factory reset?

gderf

Resetting it to default takes it back to the condition it was in when you removed from the box the first time. How lengthy was your first setup, and how much more have you changed along the way.

You could backup the configuration and restore it after the reset. This will not restore usernames and passwords though. But if you restore it to the current configuration via a backup, you might just be continuing on with something wrong in the configuration that is the source of your problems.

BillDoe

Well, over the past two years I have introduced a number of changes that were suggested by Obi (mostly random guessing it seemed) to no avail.

swan2swan

I got Obi and Google-voice 5 months ago. It is my belief that my Obi is not working properly most of the time. I complained about this since day one but all I got was "try this & that"  ???

At this point I can't have ANY phone conversations - people CAN'T HEAR MY VOICE!! Product is supposedly under warranty.... So how do I claim it? Burden of proof rests on me... ?????  >:(

Lavarock7

If you really suspect your Obi, there is a simple and relatively simple set of tests.

Test your VOIP service at http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php or one of the other sites that determine your quality based upon ping, jitter, etc.

Second test, create a free Callcentric account and get a free NYC number. Configure your OBI to CC and receive some calls there. Turn of the GV chat and forward your calls to the Free NYC number. Compare and contrast calls into the GV number and the New York City number.Check quality, etc. If they all seem crappy, it is your internet, router and/or OBI.

Third test, if you want to swap out hardware (without much cost) go to Walmart and buy a $9.99 BasicTalk unit. It uses Vonage and the $9.99 payment includes 1 month free. If it works, you know your internet fine. If it doesn't work, take the unit back to Walmart for a refund.

If the Basic Talk unit works AND you want to use it with a different provider (like Callcentric or Voip.Ms, etc) then you follow the simple instructions to zap the Vonage config and home it to another provider. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,28597028  Note that following that procedure does not reveal the Vonage credentials, it just erases them and allows you Admin access to set your own. Cost si $9.99 for the unit and whatever charges your VOIP service charges, since GV to OBI is going away as we have it now.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

gderf

Have you read that thread on DSLReports about unlocking the BasicTalk ATA lately?

sdb-

One of the first tests I recommend is to make sure the Obi is the ONLY device using your internet.  No computers, handhelds, TV, etc.

To do this, disable the wireless and disconnect all other cables.  Connect the Obi with a network cable.  (If something else was actively using your internet, it could take 15-20 minutes for its traffic backlog and retries to clear up.)

If the Obi is still malfunctioning, there is either some problem with your internet or the Obi or the service.  If a basictalk in the same situation works fine, then the Obi is most likely the problem.  (Might still be an issue with google voice vs. the basictalk SIP provider, but that is less likely.)

swan2swan

Quote from: Lavarock7 on November 26, 2013, 11:07:29 AM
If you really suspect your Obi, there is a simple and relatively simple set of tests.

Test your VOIP service at http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php or one of the other sites that determine your quality based upon ping, jitter, etc.

Second test, create a free Callcentric account and get a free NYC number. Configure your OBI to CC and receive some calls there. Turn of the GV chat and forward your calls to the Free NYC number. Compare and contrast calls into the GV number and the New York City number.Check quality, etc. If they all seem crappy, it is your internet, router and/or OBI.

Third test, if you want to swap out hardware (without much cost) go to Walmart and buy a $9.99 BasicTalk unit. It uses Vonage and the $9.99 payment includes 1 month free. If it works, you know your internet fine. If it doesn't work, take the unit back to Walmart for a refund.

If the Basic Talk unit works AND you want to use it with a different provider (like Callcentric or Voip.Ms, etc) then you follow the simple instructions to zap the Vonage config and home it to another provider. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,28597028  Note that following that procedure does not reveal the Vonage credentials, it just erases them and allows you Admin access to set your own. Cost si $9.99 for the unit and whatever charges your VOIP service charges, since GV to OBI is going away as we have it now.
Thank you and all the others for the advice - I will try it all. I am partially disable and I have hard time dealing with things lately. Sorry for upsetting some members for multiple postings.

Please accept my apologies and have great holidays.

God Bless You All!

giqcass

Quote from: Lavarock7 on November 26, 2013, 11:07:29 AM

We think a lot alike.  I bought 2 of them when they were having a deal.  I paid something like $1.57 per unit.  I unlocked both units very easily and quickly.  I set one up with Callcentric and gave it to a friend.  If you just need a VERY basic ATA they work fine.  One of those would be good for use with PBX in a flash on Raspberry PI.
Long live our new ObiLords!