News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google voice number rings are delayed by three rings

Started by gwong, November 24, 2013, 11:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwong

Hello,

Here is my setup:

OBi110
Google voice number on SP1 for outgoing calls
Callcentric number on SP2 for incoming calls

Google Voice Setup:

Forwards calls to:
      Google Chat is OFF
      Callcentric is ON

Problem:

Incoming calls and outgoing calls work. However, when a call is made to the Google Voice number, the caller hears 3 ring tones, BEFORE the first ring tone is heard on the receiver end.  Thus, callers hears 6 tones on but the we have answer the call within 3 ring tones or else the call goes to Google VM. 

If a call is made directly to the Callcentric number, the ring tone is heard immediately on the receiver end which is good.

Question is why is there a 3 ring tone delay before the ring is heard on the receiver end when calling to the Google Voice number; is there an Obi setting that controls this latency?

Thanks,
Gary

gderf

Consider yourself lucky that the GV forward to your Callcentric rings at all. For many free Callcentric DID users, myself included, it doesn't ring at all.

The workaround I have found to fix this is to get a free DID at http://www.ipkall.com/

You should use your existing Callcentric SIP URI to sign up at IPKall. Once you have the number via email, add it to your GV forward list, verify the number, and disable the Callcentric forward for now.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

zapattack

Keep in mind Google is NOT a telephone company and does not adhere to normal telephony standards.
On a real telephone call a Ringing Signal means the far end is being rung.
However, on Google the sound you hear merely means that you have dialed enough digits and the call is progressing.
If it takes several seconds to actually connect, you would still be hearing this tone BEFORE the line is actually ringing.
Try calling a busy number or a line that is not in service (1 631 265 0000) using GV and see what you hear.

giqcass

Both services seem to work well separately but they don't seem to play well together. I feel as though lag time has increased recently.
Long live our new ObiLords!

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: gderf on November 24, 2013, 11:53:36 AM
Consider yourself lucky that the GV forward to your Callcentric rings at all. For many free Callcentric DID users, myself included, it doesn't ring at all.

The workaround I have found to fix this is to get a free DID at http://www.ipkall.com/

You should use your existing Callcentric SIP URI to sign up at IPKall. Once you have the number via email, add it to your GV forward list, verify the number, and disable the Callcentric forward for now.
"Many" seems to be overstating the issue.  I for example sit in a home office most of the normal workday, and for part of that time I have a GV number forwarded to a cell phone in addition to the always ring Obi analog phone.  The worst I've seen is the ring delayed by half a ring cycle, i.e., about three seconds.  And maybe five times the cell phone did not ring at all.

Just to review, I've been doing this for the past 18 months, five days a week, with several incoming calls each day, and the forward to the cell number did not work five times.  I also instantly know when a call did not ring any phone, the usual instant (ok, few second delay) email from GV 'Missed Call from NNN-NPA-NNNN...', I only ever see that happen when the Do Not Disturb feature is on.

MikeHObi

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on November 26, 2013, 03:13:03 AM
"Many" seems to be overstating the issue.  I for example sit in a home office most of the normal workday, and for part of that time I have a GV number forwarded to a cell phone in addition to the always ring Obi analog phone.  The worst I've seen is the ring delayed by half a ring cycle, i.e., about three seconds.  And maybe five times the cell phone did not ring at all.

There is something going on with google.  This issue has developed sometime after halloween week.  For 2 years I have been using GV forwarded to Callcentric and/or Anveo with no delay problems.  In the last few weeks, calls have failed to complete and gone to GV voice mail because GV is getting past where it thinks it has handed something off (thus started it's timer to jump to voice mail).  This has happened for me with Callcentric and anveo.  it isn't consistent on both.  i.e. I can always get good rings with my cell calling the home GV number.  But if I call from my office, it will act up.  Other family members calling can cause it to act up.

For now I can route through google chat.  down side is loss of Caller Name.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Mark55

Been having the same types of problems with GV and CC, as have many others. The way it is now, GV paired with CC for incoming calls is essentially worthless. It appears to be be a GV problem. And as of today, even the voicemail indicator on the phone wont clear, even though there are no messages. Google Voice has problems. Temporarily forwarded the GV number to a Verizon Home Connect number. No delays, rings right through, plus CNAM.

I realize of course that GV is free, and cant crab too much about something that is free, but if it no longer works then perhaps its time to ditch it. Dont know about anyone else on here, but personally I'd be willing to pay a little for GV, so long as it worked, a tech person actually kept up with posts on their problems forums, and they'd give us the option to turn off the voicemail and just use an answering machine.

Lavarock7

I wonder if GoogleVoice delays are associated with them blocking Telemarketers. They have to wait a ring to detect the caller ID. The item under Global SPAM Filtering might be the culprit.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Mark55

Quote from: Lavarock7 on November 28, 2013, 11:13:23 AM
I wonder if GoogleVoice delays are associated with them blocking Telemarketers. They have to wait a ring to detect the caller ID. The item under Global SPAM Filtering might be the culprit.

But they are not delayed when the calls are forwarded to a Home Connect number, or much with a mobile number. Huge delays with Callcentric though. When forwarded to CC, oftentimes the phone will only ring once or twice before being sent to Google voicemail. Others are having this and similar problems, too. Its on one of their support forums.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/voice/callcentric/voice/FOMC_n8pYUM/TW0YP8ZslvcJ

MikeHObi

Quote from: Mark55 on November 28, 2013, 12:11:05 PM

But they are not delayed when the calls are forwarded to a Home Connect number, or much with a mobile number. Huge delays with Callcentric though. When forwarded to CC, oftentimes the phone will only ring once or twice before being sent to Google voicemail.

Issue also occurs with Anveo.  That tells me it isn't a Anveo or Callcentric issue but a Google voice issue.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Mark55

Quote from: MikeHObi on November 28, 2013, 05:52:05 PM
Quote from: Mark55 on November 28, 2013, 12:11:05 PM

But they are not delayed when the calls are forwarded to a Home Connect number, or much with a mobile number. Huge delays with Callcentric though. When forwarded to CC, oftentimes the phone will only ring once or twice before being sent to Google voicemail.

Issue also occurs with Anveo.  That tells me it isn't a Anveo or Callcentric issue but a Google voice issue.

Yes, I agree Mike. Hope they get it fixed.