News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anyone here know how to use a DNS or HTTP method to redirect OBi unit web page

Started by QBZappy, December 04, 2013, 08:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

I'm trying to connect to a far away OBi unit. The OBiTALK portal is unreliable for me as I often wait days showing that the unit is off line when I know that it is not. I can connect to the far away router/modem, however I don't have access to the user name/password of the router to setup port forwarding.

I am not very skilled at DNS or HTTP redirect methods in order to somehow redirect the OBi unit web page without using the port forwarding option on the router. The OBi has some DNS and HTTP settings which give me the impression that another method can be used to achieve the same result.

Anyone smarter than me can give me an idea if this can or cannot be done. TIA.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

TrapDoor

Another possibility - if there is a cooperative person on the other end, see if you can install the free version of LogMeIn on their computer and yours. This gives you local access to the remote modem from its LAN side. Remote WAN login may be disabled. This worked well for me when I was dealing with a non-technical (but friendly) user in a foreign country. If the modem still has the original factory login settings, they may be on a sticker on the bottom.

Hope this helps...

giqcass

What you want to do must be done at the router unless you do something like suggested above or use a VPN. 

An alternative is to host the config files yourself and edit them manually.  I think RONR had a config editing tool as well.  To get immediate changes you would need to be able to issue a reset request via sip.  You could also set the update interval to a low number to make it nearly immediate.  The whole process would be inefficient unless you were dealing with a large number of Obi units and it would not allow you to see the changes.

Long live our new ObiLords!