News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone jack and router in different rooms

Started by Kimberly, December 05, 2013, 07:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimberly

I'm not sure what to do. The phone jack in my apartment is in the kitchen and the router is in a different room set up to my bf's computer. Is there a way to set it up without having to hook it to a router?

MikeHObi

hook what up?   The obi 2xx class devices have a USB port that you can purchase a USB to WIFI adapter.  Then the obi can connect via wifi rather than a cable.  But if you have a obi1xx device then you are kind of stuck.  You could get a wireless access point and put it in the kitchen as well bridging wifi.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

dircom

Some people just use a cordless phone system plugged into the Obi.  You don't necessarily need to use you phone wiring in the apt

LeoKing

Quote from: Kimberly on December 05, 2013, 07:13:05 AM
I'm not sure what to do. The phone jack in my apartment is in the kitchen and the router is in a different room set up to my bf's computer. Is there a way to set it up without having to hook it to a router?

You can get a Media Bridge for $35 or less like this Edimax CV-7428nS on Amazon or Newegg. Connect the OBi to the LAN port on the bridge and the bridge to the router via WiFi.