News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Auto Firmware Update

Started by bsdaiwa, February 22, 2014, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsdaiwa

I would like to have several of my Obi100's and 110's automatically install Obi firmware updates. I assume that the settings I need to configure are in the Expert Configuration>System Management>Auto Provisioning>Auto Firmware Update section.

I am setting the Method to Periodically but I am not sure what the settings should be for Interval and FirmwareURL and I assume that the Username and Password are the ones I set for the device(s).

I would also like to know if this will force the Obi's to automatically Reboot after installation, which I would prefer that they do.

Can anyone who has some experience with these settings give me a little guidance setting it up?

Thanks

giqcass

First thing I would like to say is I don't recommend automatic upgrades.  If it isn't broke don't fix it.  You may be making a new problem.

I don't believe you need a user name or password defined.  You want it set to periodically.  The interval is how often you want the obi to check for an update in seconds.
This is the current url of the firmware BUT you should contact ObHai to see what If/Then logic may need to be added to the mix to make it work properly.  Simply putting that url in might cause the obi to attempt unneeded upgrades that could slow the system.
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-latest.fw

I believe an automatic upgrade will cause the obi to make a graceful reboot afterwards.  Which means it will reboot when a call is NOT being made. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

gderf

Are there device default settings on that unit?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

giqcass

Quote from: gderf on February 22, 2014, 01:50:40 PM
Are there device default settings on that unit?
I don't know about the 100 but the 110 and 202 don't seem to have defaults.  At least not with the firmware versions I am on. 
The only default setting I have ever seen looked something like this.
IF ( $FWV < 1.3.0.2765 ) FWU http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi-1-3-0-2774.fw

Obi changed their system and update urls no longer follow that pattern.  The last time I dug through their documentation they still recommended the above pattern.

If bsdaiwa wants to run his/her own private server for firmware  it's pretty easy to set all of the devices to check that server for a new update.  Then one upload would update all of the devices in the network.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Rick

I agree.  Automatic firmware updates on ANY device are a very bad idea.  What if the power goes out during the update?  Brick?  What if they people who published the update made a mistake?  Don't you want to wait and see if it works for others?  Look at Microsoft's updates, the list of things that they fix that many don't have on their computers. 

I don't apply firmware or bios updates to any device without issues.  I cringe when my cellphone has an update to Android as it always causes issues.