News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Forcing an OBi device to go out direct to OBiTALK...

Started by Midshires, December 15, 2013, 09:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midshires

Imagine for a moment please that I wished to set up a very simple telephone network for family use, using OBi 110 adapters and normal telephones. We would dial the nine-digit OBiTALK telephone numbers printed underneath the adapters.

As things stand, each user would have to dial **9 first, then the OBi subscriber number.

To simplify use by non-techies, is there a way to program the OBi 110 so that it is unnecessary to dial **9 first? This would force the adapter to go out over OBiTALK; I realise this would prevent its use for other purposes.

Many thanks,
Andy Emmerson.

MurrayB

If I am understanding you I would think setting up speed dials would do it. One or two digits plus the pound sign. I have this set up to communicate between three Obi 110.

Good Luck!

drgeoff

Physical Interfaces /  Phone Port / Primary Line.  Change its value to "Obitalk Service".  Then all numbers dialled without a leading '*' or '#' will be sent to Obitalk. 

giqcass

Quote from: drgeoff on December 15, 2013, 11:10:57 AM
Physical Interfaces /  Phone Port / Primary Line.  Change its value to "Obitalk Service".  Then all numbers dialled without a leading '*' or '#' will be sent to Obitalk. 

Probably not a good Idea to do it that way.  I noticed you were using the OBI110.  This leads me to believe you want to be able to dial regular numbers via the land line as well.  Is that a correct assumption on my part?

If so the speed dial is the best option if you truly want to keep it simple.  An Obi to Obi speed dial would look like this where 222222222 is the Obi number.
PP(ob222222222)
Long live our new ObiLords!

Midshires

Thanks to all who responded. I am very grateful to you.

Particularly to DrGeoff, who wrote:

This method sounds absolutely ideal, as the people using this system would not necessarily understand the need to dial prefixes. They just want something that looks, feels and works like a regular telephone system (except that it isn't a regular telephone system!).

Users will not need to make 'outside line' calls into the public network, as this project needs to act as a standalone, internal user only, system.

Again many thanks and Compliments of the Season.
Andy.

giqcass

If a landline won't be used then why not buy the Obi100 for $10 less per unit?
Long live our new ObiLords!