News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Registration Period changing to huge random values causing lost of registration

Started by obysync, December 16, 2013, 04:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obysync

For the last year that I've had my obi202 it loses registration every month or month and half. Recently I've noticed when this happens the reported registration period is a huge number. i.e. it currently is not working and reporting the following status:

Registered (server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5060; expire in 3336031s)

Both my RegistrationPeriod and RegisterExpires are set to 300.  I've tried everything from 60 to 3600 and the same problem persists. After a month of usage the box just stops registering and has to be rebooted.

It's starting to drive me nuts because there's no indication this has happened (I can still make outbound calls without issue).  Only when someone emails me that my phone always goes to voice mail do I realize there's a problem. 

I tried upgrading the firmware a while back (currently at 3.0.1 (Build: 3741)) but that did nothing.

Is there anyway to fix this?

sdb-

The first thing support will usually say is "upgrade to the lastest released firmware."

Since your 3.0.1 (Build: 3741) there has been multiple releases.  I have 3932, 4041 and 4142 (which was current a few days ago when I set up my '202).

How often do your reboot your '202 ?  It might need a periodic reboot.

obysync

Thanks for the suggestion. I just updated to 4142. The one month test period though is a little frustrating but we'll see.

As for rebooting my obi rarely gets rebooted at all. Usually just when this issue comes up. It's on a UPS along with my router and modem so it's up pretty much 24/7.  Is there a way to schedule a reboot?  If I could do that it would at least serve as a workaround.

Really a simple check added to the firmware to ensure the registration period doesn't exceed the expirary time would be optimum.  Not too sure how responsive Obihai is to such requests though.

Anyway, thanks for replying.

sdb-

I do not know of any way within the OBi itself to schedule a reboot.

I have a Linux server on my home network, so I just use a cron entry that every day does:
curl --digest -u "$ADMIN:$PASSW" -s http://$OBI/rebootgetconfig.htm

That reboot seemed mandatory for my previous OBi110. Probably only every 2-3 days, but every day didn't hurt.  I've just switched to an OBi202 and did the reboot for a few days, but I turned it off yesterday just to see if/how long it works OK.

obysync

Quote from: sdb- on December 16, 2013, 05:55:26 PM
I have a Linux server on my home network, so I just use a cron entry that every day does:
curl --digest -u "$ADMIN:$PASSW" -s http://$OBI/rebootgetconfig.htm

Thanks very much for that snippet of url.  I was thinking of adding a cronjob to my router to force a weekly reboot but wasn't sure if the obi would take a url like that. 

Again thanks.

BillDB

FWIW, I observed this problem with on my Obi202 with firmware 3.0.1 build 3932.  Uptime was a bit over 30 days and a reboot made it go away.

I also updated to current (3.0.1 4269).  We'll see if that helps in a month or so.