News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI508 - Documentation

Started by rdh23, January 07, 2014, 06:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdh23

Can anyone point me to downloadable documentation for the Obi508vs? 

Thanks

giqcass

Sadly I don't see any.  They usually post that stuff here.
http://www.obihai.com/docs-downloads

You could try contacting them.
Long live our new ObiLords!

rdh23

Yes, I check at www.obihai.com/docs-downloads and, strangely, I found no documentation of the OBI508.  Next, I sent two separate messages through the Support site and received no response.  Maybe someone at OBIHAI will see this message and respond.

QBZappy

@rdh23

Quote from: rdh23 on January 07, 2014, 06:17:06 PM
Can anyone point me to downloadable documentation for the Obi508vs? 

This is deja vu all over again.

This is a new generation product in the obihai stable. To bring you up to speed, the one consistent thing I have noticed when a new product is introduced is that user guides seem to be an afterthought. Also, obihai has conditioned obi users not to expect any change logs when firmware revisions are made. Other than that the products do work quite well.

You become the unofficial beta tester for the rest of us. Let us know how the v5 series works for you.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

rdh23

Quote from: Usetheforceobiwan on January 10, 2014, 10:04:34 PM
I guess this is better than nothing: http://www.obihai.com/docs/QSG-OBi508-v1.pdf

Thanks.  This was exactly what I needed to get started.  Where did you find this?

drgeoff

I don't see anything in that Quick Start Guide which suggests that configuring and operating the 508 is materially different from other OBi devices.  But under the hood it is probably quite a different beast hardware-wise.

loumarjr

I am posting my amazon review here to share my experience with the unit.  Any feedback would be welcomed!!

I received my unit a week ago and also noticed that it did not include a manual.  I assumed that OBi figured that most customers that purchase the OBi508vs are familiar with their products and also planned to have a online guide.  It now appears that they just put a quick start guide online for this unit.

The first thing that surprised me when I set up the unit (I have previously purchased a few OBi202's) was the lack of OBiWiFi support.  I contacted their support and they replied quickly explaining that the potential for high bandwidth usage may affect call quality, so they chose not to currently support it.  They did, however, explain that I could connect the 508 to my existing 202's port and connect wirelessly through the 202's OBiWiFi, but they don't recommend I do this unless absolutely necessary.  I doubt that 8 concurrent calls would be smooth over WiFi too. They later stated that OBi may add the WiFi feature to the 508 at a later date, in spite of the issues.  I just wish they made that clear at purchase.  It would not have changed my mind about the purchase, but would have saved me time because I thought the unit was defective since I couldn't get ObiWiFi to work.  I now have an extra ObiWiFi dongle.

Even though  in May 2014, Google Phone will stop working with Obi, I believe my Callcentric / localphone service is inexpensive enough to justify continued support of Obi products.  After extensive research, they are the providers that give the best value, in my opinion.  The 508 is new and they have only recently released their first 508 firmware upgrade.  If the 508 turns out to be as solid of a product as the 202, Obi will have a big winner.

Edit on 01/15/2014:  After using the unit for a few days, I found a couple of bugs in the firmware.  Tech Support is very helpful and responsive and seemed to fix some bugs that I reported. Main problems are with SP5-8. I have learned that you can only have four service providers (Callcentric, localphone, etc.) but can choose 8 Sip lines within the four.  Would be better if it was like the 202 where each sip slot was totally independent. Also, there is no easy way to use ** codes to get to the higher ports (SP5-8) because they conflict with other services. For example, **8 is calling out to BT so **8 cant use SP8 port.

A bigger issue is that the unit loses its connection (usually overnight) and requires a reboot to go back on line.  I tried to assign a static IP to see if that helps.  Wont know until tomorrow.

I feel the product has great potential but it seems like the firmware is not quite ready for prime time.  An admin guide specific for the 508 would be helpful.  Well, back to beta testing the 508, for now!!

giqcass

Assuming this works like the 202 you can access the other SPs with a code if you can change the following.
Assuming you want to use **8 for SP8.

Physical port
>>>>>>>>>Phone Port x
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Digit Map
**8(Mbt)
change to
**8(Msp8)

Physical port
>>>>>>>>>Phone Port x
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OutboundCallRoute
{(<**8:>(Mbt)):bt}
change to