News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2nd GV to SP2 won't ring if also forwarded to Verizon Cell

Started by redzep, January 22, 2014, 10:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redzep

Hi all--

I've searched for an explanation / workaround for this and am stumped. Two questions

1) I have GV1 --> SP1 = works great
GV2 --> SP2 says connected, and I can dial out using **2 (awesome!)

but it wasn't ringing. In the settings for the GV2 I have forwarded it to:

- Google Chat
- Verizon Cell phone (a dummy placeholder number)

When I unchecked the Verizon number, the GV2 number rang through to the Obi. When I rechecked the Verizon Cell Forwarding option, it stopped ringing on the Obi. ????

2) I'm trying to have SP1 and SP2 use different ring tones, and I believe I've set that up correctly through the ExpertConfig

SP1
X_ServProvProfile=A
X_RingProfile=A
X_CodecProfile=A

SP2
X_ServProvProfile=B
X_RingProfile=B
X_CodecProfile=B

Is that correct? If so, I'm not sure how to get the different "Obi Rings" to manifest themselves on my actual portable phone (Panasonic KXGT7731) which has several different ring tones.

MANY THANKS TO ALL THE GENEROUS EXPERTS ON HERE!

drgeoff

Can't help with the GV part of your post but can give some info about different ring tones.

The only difference an OBi (or any other ATA) can make is to the ring cadence.  That is the pattern of when ringing is sent to the phone and when it is not.  With 'old fashioned' phones in which the ringing voltage simply went straight to the bell, the phone would ring with the same cadence as the ringing voltage.  Hence by sending a different ring cadence (eg using Ring Profile), the bell could ring with a distinctly different pattern.

Modern phones tend to put some electronics between the incoming ringing voltage and the audible ringing device.  The electronics senses that ringing voltage is present and then applies a signal to the speaker/beeper.  That signal can be electronically generated and bear no relationship whatsoever to the cadence sent to the phone.  Even though the phone may offer a selection of tones, patterns, melodies there is no way to select one of those based on the ringing signal sent to the phone.  Some phones will follow to a greater or lesser extent the applied cadence, but this will not change the tone(s) or melodies.

Some phones with Caller ID can be programmed to emit different ringing signals for different incoming CIDs.  But there is no relationship between that and Ring Profiles on the OBi.

giqcass

What exactly do you mean by "a dummy placeholder number"  The Verizon number must be a working phone number.  In addition keep in mind that the first phone to pick up "wins" the call.  If the Verizon number goes to voicemail immediately for any reason your Obi will either only ring once or not at all.  For instance some cell phone carriers send calls directly to voicemail if the phone is turned off or not in the service area.  

As for your other question you must also select a different ringtone to use in X_RingProfileB as the primary ring tone.  By default profile A and B are identical.
Long live our new ObiLords!