News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Stop incoming calls from ringing?

Started by helloobi2014, January 29, 2014, 09:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helloobi2014

I have an Obi202.  Is there a way to set the ATA up so that incoming calls on SP2 do not ring the phone?  I want to use the SP2 service to make outgoing calls only.  Incoming calls on this line are to be routed to my cell phone, but because the line is registered on the ATA, incoming calls are also ringing all of the attached phones.

Any advice would be appreciated.

gderf

What happens if you delete the entry for SP2's X_InboundCallRoute ?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

helloobi2014

When I left the X_InboundCallRoute blank, it still rang the attached phones (perhaps even if it is blank, the default is phone 1?).  However, I discovered after posting here that if I enter ph2 into the X_InboundCallRoute field (I have no phones connected to the ph2 jack on the ATA), the phones do not ring.  So I guess that will work, as long as I don't need a second set of phones plugged into the ATA.  Is this the only solution though?

gderf

Are you sure that change to X_InboundCallRoute stuck after rebooting the device?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

ianobi

QuoteIncoming calls on this line are to be routed to my cell phone,

Will this be done by configuring "call forward unconditional" in your voip service provider? If so, then the call will never reach the OBi202 and the phones will not ring.

If you are going to use your OBi202 to do the call forward to your cell phone, then post back and I can suggest an InboundCallRoute that does that only and does not ring the phones.

Generally leaving an InboundCallRoute blank confuses the OBi and it reverts to default behaviour, i.e. rings the phones. InboundCallRoute of {} works for a PSTN line, it rings nowhere, but with a voip call the voip service provider sees a failed call as it gets no "OK" message back from the OBi.

helloobi2014

Quote from: gderf on January 29, 2014, 09:36:48 AM
Are you sure that change to X_InboundCallRoute stuck after rebooting the device?

Yes, it did stick after rebooting.

helloobi2014

Quote from: ianobi on January 29, 2014, 09:53:25 AM
QuoteIncoming calls on this line are to be routed to my cell phone,

Will this be done by configuring "call forward unconditional" in your voip service provider? If so, then the call will never reach the OBi202 and the phones will not ring.

If you are going to use your OBi202 to do the call forward to your cell phone, then post back and I can suggest an InboundCallRoute that does that only and does not ring the phones.

Generally leaving an InboundCallRoute blank confuses the OBi and it reverts to default behaviour, i.e. rings the phones. InboundCallRoute of {} works for a PSTN line, it rings nowhere, but with a voip call the voip service provider sees a failed call as it gets no "OK" message back from the OBi.

I have forwarded the incoming calls to my cell phone at the VOIP level (on the admin panel for the VOIP provider).  But it was still ringing my ATA as well - I think their call forwarding is not unconditional CF but is more of a "follow me" setting.

I would be interested in getting your instructions anyways (for future reference).

ianobi

If you remove the call forward from your voip provider and set your OBi to something like this:

Voice Services > SP2 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:
{sp1(12345678901)}

Where 12345678901 is your cell phone number.

Any call coming in on sp2 would be routed via sp1 to your cell phone. Most voip providers allow two simultaneous calls so this would probably work too:

Voice Services > SP2 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:
{sp2(12345678901)}

In both case no Obi connected phones will ring as there is no "ph" in the InboundCallRoute.

Of course, the above scenarios cost you an outgoing call from your OBi to your service provider.

If you stay with your present setup, then there are some bizarre ways of sending ringing into nowhere by setting up a fake Voice Gateway and sending the call there. If you wish to go to those lengths I'm happy to post a solution if you request it. That's for tomorrow though, it's getting late in my time zone   :)

helloobi2014

Thanks for posting the instructions.  Very helpful!