News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anyone have an OBI die?

Started by callhome, February 17, 2014, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callhome

Had my ObI100 about a month now, switched to Obivoice and pretty happy with everything. Since this is my only home phone line I was wondering if one should have a backup OBI for when that day comes and the 100 dies. Just trying to get a feel for how reliable these little guys are.

ET

giqcass

I have heard of a few people whose power supply has died and a couple that lost an Obi altogether but it seems rare. I would suggest investing in a surge suppressor or UPS rather then a backup Obi.  If the Obi dies the most likely culprit will be a power surge.  Seems like it would be better to just protect it in the first place.  Over the years I have used these types of devices I have never had any ATA die personally.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Ostracus

Had my Obi110 die, and I put the picture up on DSLReports. Only bad thing is it's the one's with the relay.

callhome

Thanks for the replies! I just read today Obivoice has a failover forward setting, so that makes me feel better. What is it with OBIvoice, seems like anything anybody asks for they get. Very cool for a company these days.

Jackson

I would suggest that you make sure the Obi is getting plenty of airflow (I'd actually suggest that for all electronic devices).  Never stack.  My modem and Obi are both sitting, side by side, on a small wire shelf with legs I picked up at the $ store.