News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple phone ports and Call waiting.

Started by OneForTheTeam, February 24, 2014, 05:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneForTheTeam

Here's my setup. ObiVoice as SP1. Phone port 1 - Panasonic cordless base. Phone port 2 : GE corded handset for emergencies. Incoming calls routed to ph1,ph2. With this setup the second call on SP1 rings phone 2 instead of a call-waiting tone on phone 1. Is there any way in Obi to do the following?

As far as incoming calls are concerned treat Phone port 1 and port 2 as if it were a splitter within Obi.
So incoming calls will ring both the phones and call waiting will generate a tone on either of the phones which is currently handling the inbound call. However, when a single call is active on one of these phones, I still need the ability to dial out from the other phone. Hope this makes sense.

(FYI the day after my number ported to VOIP from POTS, we had a power outage lasting many hours testing my setup  :o. UPS --only OBi and router on it to maximize backup coverage --and the corded phone did its trick.)

azrobert

I don't have an OBi202 so I can't test, but I think Call Waiting should work even if you're forking the call to PH2.
Make sure Call Waiting is enabled. You can check CallWaitingEnable under the Phone Port settings or just dial *56 to enable it.

OneForTheTeam

Quote from: azrobert on February 24, 2014, 09:20:04 AM
but I think Call Waiting should work even if you're forking the call to PH2.
Thanks. I did not know that is how the Obi operates. I assumed ringing of PH2 when PH1 is busy was normal Obi mode of operation. I just used the default configuration of ITSP profiles and Service Providers w.r.t call waiting after a device wipe. I'll check my Obi again when I get home.

BigJim_McD

Several VoIP SIP service providers allow two concurrent calls. A combination of two incoming, outgoing, call waiting and 3-way calling.

For a single VoIP SIP service on a Obi202 device, in ObiTALK Settings for Obi202 and with CallWaitingEnable "Enabled/Checked".

Set "Primary Line for Outgoing Calls: Phone 1 SP1  &  Phone 2 SP1
   --AND--

Set "Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:     Phone 1 SP1  &  Phone 2 Blank
X_InboundCallRoute:  {>12345:ph1}
Allows:  1-Call and 1-Call Waiting -or- a 2nd OGT Call on ph2

--OR--

Set "Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:
   Phone 1 SP1  &  Phone 2 SP1
X_InboundCallRoute:  {>12345:ph1,ph2}
"Allows:  1-Call on ph1 (INC or OGT) and 1-Call on ph2 (INC or OGT).

The "X_InboundCallRoute" can be verified by using the ObiTALK OBi Expert Configuration and checking: "SP1 Service" - "X_InboundCallRoute" field.

>12345 would be replaced by your SIP account user name.
BigJimMcD

OneForTheTeam

Just checked my settings and Call waiting is enabled for Ph1 and Ph2. Can anyone else confirm the default behavior? In my case on a second incoming call I hear no tone on ph1, but ph2 rings when a call is ongoing on ph1.

simpleAnswers

Quote from: OneForTheTeam on February 25, 2014, 04:26:19 AM
Just checked my settings and Call waiting is enabled for Ph1 and Ph2. Can anyone else confirm the default behavior? In my case on a second incoming call I hear no tone on ph1, but ph2 rings when a call is ongoing on ph1.

Your description sounds confusing. But I think it has been asked and answered here already
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6046.0

I went out and bought an Obi202 after reading that thread and it works for me.
I have 2 line V-Tech Phone and currently when a call comes in only Ph1 rings. If another call comes in while I'm on Ph1, then I get a CW on Ph1 but Ph2 now rings.
Also I can be on a call on Ph1 and still dial another call using Ph2 which is nice.

OneForTheTeam

Quote from: simpleAnswers on February 26, 2014, 02:42:39 AM

Your description sounds confusing. But I think it has been asked and answered here already
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6046.0
Let me try to clarify. In the post you have linked, the user wanted the second line to ring ONLY if the first line is busy.

I am not worried about when the second line rings. I want a call waiting tone to be generated on ph1 when a second call comes in. Right now only the second phone rings and no call-waiting beep is heard on ph1. It is not ideal as the second phone is a corded handset in a remote location. I gather that both you and the original poster in the other thread have used dual-line phones. Maybe it generates the call-waiting beep when it senses an incoming call on line 2 when line 1 is busy. In my setup, I have two distinct phones hooked up to ph1 and ph2 on Obi.

azrobert

For a test send inbound calls to only PH1 by changing SP1 X_InboundCallRoute to: ph

Do you now get the Call Waiting tone?

OneForTheTeam

--------------------------
NO LONGER AN ISSUE
--------------------------
I tried to reroute inbound to ph alone and Call waiting worked as expected. More importantly, I restored inbound call route to ph,ph2 and call-waiting works as desired (tone and interrupt is generated on ph and ph2 rings as well)
Thanks