News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problems faxing

Started by ddstke, April 24, 2011, 01:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddstke

So I've tried faxing from the OBi100 several times with limited success.  I reduced the transmission rate to 'low' on my fax machine, HP OfficeJet 4215.  Problem is that the first two pages of a fax come in blank.

I hooked up my Linksys PAP2T and was successful in faxing the same pages.  I couldn't find on the OBi100 some of the configuration features available on the Linksys, e.g., Faxpassthru codec (G711u).

Anything other suggestions on getting faxes to work on the OBi100?

Thanks,
Doug

TJD1212

Hi - after troubleshooting all night, here is how I was able to finally succeed in sending a 3 page fax (most faxes would typically fail on page 1 or in the middle of page 2).  

I read many posts suggesting setting the baud rate to 9600 with error correction turned off, but had no success with these settings.  It seems after reading many posts on this subject, that there is some debate on the speed to use and whether or not error correction should be disabled.  In my case, here is what worked (finally!).

Fax machine: HP Officejet J4680 All-in-One
Service: Callcentric
Speed: 14400
Error Correction: On (enabled)

Most importantly, I used a dsl filter plugged directly into the OBI (fax line going into the filter port labeled "phone").  I read this suggestion on another site, and sure enough it worked.

Hope this helps.

haffarfamily

Hello.  I have the same office jet fax printer scanner as you and am having issues sending and receiving faxes - getting failures.  I also have the obi100 and my service is google voice.  I have changed the speeds and error correction mode on and off on the fax machine to no avail.  I don't have dsl as my internet service provider, rather, I have time warner cable internet.  Silly question, but do you think the dsl filter will work to fix the fax issue even though I have cable internet?  You didn't mention if your service was dsl or cable but I just assume it must be dsl???  Going crazy trying to get the fax to work and not sure if buying the upgrade obi110 is necessary.  Anyone have any solutions?  I think I've read through every relevant post on this site.  Another challenge is my phone trunk that feeds my house is in the basement right next to my cable modem and router, etc. and the fax machine is in my office upstairs so don't want to drill holes in my wall to connect fax to obi hai and moving obi hai to office with fax machine only gives dial tone to the phone in my office and not the rest of the house.  Thanks in advance. 

Quote from: TJD1212 on March 10, 2012, 10:58:50 PM
Hi - after troubleshooting all night, here is how I was able to finally succeed in sending a 3 page fax (most faxes would typically fail on page 1 or in the middle of page 2).  

I read many posts suggesting setting the baud rate to 9600 with error correction turned off, but had no success with these settings.  It seems after reading many posts on this subject, that there is some debate on the speed to use and whether or not error correction should be disabled.  In my case, here is what worked (finally!).

Fax machine: HP Officejet J4680 All-in-One
Service: Callcentric
Speed: 14400
Error Correction: On (enabled)

Most importantly, I used a dsl filter plugged directly into the OBI (fax line going into the filter port labeled "phone").  I read this suggestion on another site, and sure enough it worked.

Hope this helps.

azrobert

I have Cox Cable and a DSL filter helped me.
I bought a cheapie from Hong Kong like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2WIRE-DSL-PHONE-1-Line-Inline-Filter-ADSL-Modem-/140628285947?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item20be1959fb

Warning: It can take a couple weeks to more than a month to receive your order from China.