News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

newbie question about SP2

Started by eclas, March 16, 2014, 06:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eclas

I have switched from GV to Vestalink to avoid any problems from the coming GV shutdown.
I was wondering how I could take advantage of any options with SP2 since it isn't being used.
I searched the forum but couldn't find any 'basic' info on uses or setup.
Thanks for any ideas.

eclas

DrJay

SP2 just lets you add a second service provider entry.

You could use a second Vestalink number (e.g. a second DID number, giving you a "line 2") or another provider (CallCentric, etc.) if you want some other feature or calling rate that they provide that Vestalink does not, for example.

The use of SP2 is totally optional. Most people probably use their ObiHAI with a single provider because that meets their needs.

eclas

Thanks for the reply.
So basically it is for just using any 2nd telephone service I guess. I haven't ported my # yet so maybe I can find a use for it via GV.

ceg3

Quote from: eclas on March 16, 2014, 06:50:01 AM
Thanks for the reply.
So basically it is for just using any 2nd telephone service I guess. I haven't ported my # yet so maybe I can find a use for it via GV.

That is what I did.  After porting my GV number to Vestalink I got a new GV number and provisioned SP2 with it.  I don't really need it, but it was interesting to do and there might come a time when it is useful, though it's life is likely very short unless Google changes its plans for GV.

cluckercreek

That is what I did.  After porting my GV number to Vestalink I got a new GV number and provisioned SP2 with it.  I don't really need it, but it was interesting to do and there might come a time when it is useful, though it's life is likely very short unless Google changes its plans for GV.
[/quote]

That is exactly what I did. My wife asked me why I obtained another GV number and I told her "because I wanted an additional number for backup".