News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi100 - Device owned by a service provider?

Started by MileyChulo, March 17, 2014, 01:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MileyChulo

I just got my OBi100 device from eBay (probably not a good idea).  The device works in all aspects as far as configuration, but get this message when I enter the **5-5555 type number thats randomly given:

Add an OBi Device

Failed to add device: This device is owned by a service provider and cannot be added to your account!

Please contact the service provider for further solutions.

The firmware says I have the latest, and won't let me update that. I've done all different types of resets. I don't know the previous service provider. Is there any way for me to get the device refreshed?

gderf

Owned by a provider or an individual who registered it on OBiTALK. Until it is released you won't be able to use it with ONiTALK, perhaps not at all.

Caveat emptor with ebay or craigslist stuff.

We will see a lot more of this once GV shuts off XMPP and ebay is flooded with units that will no longer work directly with Google Voice.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

QBZappy

Quote from: MileyChulo on March 17, 2014, 01:34:40 PM
I just got my OBi100 device from eBay (probably not a good idea).  The device works in all aspects as far as configuration, but get this message when I enter the **5-5555 type number thats randomly given:

Add an OBi Device

Failed to add device: This device is owned by a service provider and cannot be added to your account!

Please contact the service provider for further solutions.

The firmware says I have the latest, and won't let me update that. I've done all different types of resets. I don't know the previous service provider. Is there any way for me to get the device refreshed?

This is the first case of a locked OBi device that has come to my attention. This looks like a sign of things to come. Try factory resetting the unit to default. It may or may not reset. Let us know the results of resetting.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

MikeHObi

My guess is this unit is current registered with someones elses obitalk account and thus it is resisting hooking to your account.  I would submit a ticket to Obi to see what they can tell you.  It maybe the device was stolen and then sold to you or it could simply someone forgot to remove it from their obi account.  It's free so I can see people just unplugging it and selling it and not shutting their account on obitalk down.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

There was a case of a locked 302 on the forum before.  Obi said they couldn't do anything about it.  Yours can probably be unlocked but it's not a process we can talk about here.  I would open a support ticket with obi before going to any extremes.
Long live our new ObiLords!

drgeoff

I've just now tried to add my OBi110 to another account (without first removing it from the original account) and received the following response on the web page.  I've replaced real data with asterisks.
-------------------------------------------
Add an OBi Device
Congratulations, we have matched your device, Please verify the following information.

Device Model:   OBi110
Device OBi #:   *********
Device MAC:   ***********
Device SN:   ***********
However, your device is secured by password. We need to verify the password(s) first:

Please select

1. I know the admin password and would like to use admin account

2. I want like to use user account  
------------------------------------------

(Yes that is the verbatim bad English of choice #2)

Doesn't match with what the OP reports from his newly acquired OBi.

gderf

Then it's locked to a provider and not another former user.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

drgeoff

Quote from: QBZappy on March 17, 2014, 02:41:00 PMTry factory resetting the unit to default. It may or may not reset. Let us know the results of resetting.
That is extremely unlikely to help. It is the entry against the device's ID in Obihai's database that needs to be changed or deleted.  Resetting the OBi100 won't do that.