News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming calls GV

Started by James, March 18, 2014, 03:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Newbie here.

With the impending May 15 GV end of support for XMPP, I am scrambling for a decent home phone solution. I purchased a Callcentric 500 for outgoing calls, and this is working fine. What I do not fully understand has to do with Incoming calls after *May 15*

(1) Will I be able to receive calls on my GV number? - I am getting conflicting answers.
(2) If I can receive calls on my GV number, is there any merit to porting my GV number to Callcentric? But if not, I believe I need to port and get an incoming service with Callcentric.

Thanks in advance.

gderf

When Google shuts down XMPP on May 15th your OBi SP slot that is configured for Google voice will cease working entirely in both directions. Period. Just delete it when it stops working.

If you want incoming calls to your GV number to be forwarded to your OBi once XMPP is shut off, you will have forward them from Google Voice to another phone number that your OBi is capable of receiving calls on. You have the following simple choices to accomplish this.

You have Callcentric 500 outgoing calling plan. This requires that you configure your OBi to register with Callcentric. You have done this already.

Here are a few choices to continue receiving incoming GV calls on your OBi:

1) Get a free IPKall DID and configure it to your Callcentric SIP URI in the form of 1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com Note that CallerID is broken with this setup.

or

2) Get a free Callcentric NYC area DID and forward your GV calls to it.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

James

Thanks for a great reply.

Quote from: gderf on March 18, 2014, 04:22:01 PM
Get a free Callcentric NYC area DID and forward your GV calls to it.

Ok, so now I got a NYC DID, I am a bit lost on the "forward your GV calls to it" part. On the Callcentric page, there was an option for Fax, Calling card etc. Or does this have to be done on GV page?

I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

drgeoff

gderf

Go to your Google Voice page, click on your number on the lower left part of the page, then click on Add another phone at the bottom of the page. Fill out the details, hit save and answer the phone for verification.

James

Thanks you guys. Just did, and it worked. Thanks gderf and drgeoff. Hope I don't have to mess with this anymore any time soon.

MikeHObi

Quote from: James on March 18, 2014, 06:25:06 PM
Thanks you guys. Just did, and it worked. Thanks gderf and drgeoff. Hope I don't have to mess with this anymore any time soon.

Only possible problem is google voice has issues completing calls to your NY DID.  Google voice has been having problems completing calls in a timely manner to a number of DID's from Callcentric, Anveno, and others.  There seems to be a problem with the company google contracts for their connections but google is playing dumb.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

On the Callcentric website you might as well enable CNAM so you can see the names of callers.  It's disabled by default.
Long live our new ObiLords!

James

Sorry for being thick, but why does the NYC DID work with GV? So lets say someone calls my GV number, this goes to my Callcentric NYC DID; but how does it travel from there? How does Callcentric know where to send that call to? Also, when May 15 comes, why won't this routing get affected? In the meantime, I have stopped the porting process from GV. Thanks again, you guys are great.

riptcity00

Quote from: giqcass on March 18, 2014, 07:10:50 PM
On the Callcentric website you might as well enable CNAM so you can see the names to  of callers.  It's disabled by default.

Is cnam working better for callcentric now?  I was using it back in Dec and Jan with a free number, but changed due to the same inconsistencies others reported here.

AlanB

Quote from: James on March 18, 2014, 07:34:00 PM
Sorry for being thick, but why does the NYC DID work with GV? So lets say someone calls my GV number, this goes to my Callcentric NYC DID; but how does it travel from there? How does Callcentric know where to send that call to? Also, when May 15 comes, why won't this routing get affected? In the meantime, I have stopped the porting process from GV. Thanks again, you guys are great.
You have the account provisioned to your Obi.  You can have multiple DIDs in you Callcentric account, but they are still all tied to one account and therefore all are provisioned to your Obi.

gderf

Quote from: James on March 18, 2014, 07:34:00 PM

Your OBi has to be SIP registered with Callcentric on another SP slot. That is how they know where to send the calls to your DID. The routing will not be effected post May 15 because XMPP isn't used to forward these calls.