News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Change Outbound CallerID (Spoofing?)

Started by threehappypenguins, March 21, 2014, 10:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threehappypenguins

I recently signed up for Vestlink. Here is what is on my Obi202:

SP1: Freephoneline (primary line)
SP2: Google Voice (for now... until XMPP is disabled!)
SP3: TheSpout (this is my local phone number since FPL doesn't offer numbers out east)
SP4: Vestlink

I know that GV doesn't support spoofing, so whatever. But I want SP1 & SP4 to show SP3's phone number (my local number). I know for a fact that Vestlink offer's spoofing. Not sure about Freephoneline, but I'm able to at least successfully change the name that shows up on other people's caller ID.

Here is what I did:

Service Providers > ITSP Profile A SIP > X_SpoofCallerID (Enabled with checkmark)
Service Providers > ITSP Profile D SIP > X_SpoofCallerID (Enabled with checkmark)
Voice Service > SP1 Service > CallerIDName (I entered the name I wanted)
Voice Service > SP4 Service > CallerIDName (I entered the name I wanted)
Physical Interfaces > PHONE 1 > OutboundCallRoute > {([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<##:>):li},{(<#:>):ph2},{(<**70:>(Mli)):li},{(<**82:>(Mbt2)):bt2},{(<**81:>(Mbt)):bt},{(<**8:>(Mbt)):bt},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1(1234567890>)},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4(1234567890>)},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Of course, 1234567890 being my 10 digit phone number that I want to show up on other people's call displays. And I did the same OutboudnCallRoute on PHONE 2.

Freephoneline still seems to function and call out properly, and it shows the proper call display name on other's phones, but it still shows Freephoneline's phone number. As for Vestlink, I get an error when calling out with that OutboundCallRoute: The number (the one I was calling) was rejected by the service provider. Reason: 407.

What am I doing wrong?

drgeoff

Did you tick the box for 'X_SpoofCallerID' in Service Providers, ITSP Profile x, SIP?

threehappypenguins

Quote from: drgeoff on March 21, 2014, 11:43:46 AM
Did you tick the box for 'X_SpoofCallerID' in Service Providers, ITSP Profile x, SIP?

Quote from: threehappypenguins on March 21, 2014, 10:29:30 AM
Here is what I did:

Service Providers > ITSP Profile A SIP > X_SpoofCallerID (Enabled with checkmark)
Service Providers > ITSP Profile D SIP > X_SpoofCallerID (Enabled with checkmark)

drgeoff

Not clear if you had done that before or after I mentioned it.

Also, do we assume the spoofing is still not happening?

Regarding the Vestalink failure, googling reveals that SIP error code 407 indicates a proxy authentication error.  Do the calls really succeed if you just remove that spoofing number part of PHONE OutboundCallRoute?

threehappypenguins

Quote from: drgeoff on March 21, 2014, 01:22:51 PM
Regarding the Vestalink failure, googling reveals that SIP error code 407 indicates a proxy authentication error.  Do the calls really succeed if you just remove that spoofing number part of PHONE OutboundCallRoute?

Yes, if I remove the "spoofing number part of PHONE OutboundCallRoute," I can call out perfectly fine; no problems. If I introduce the syntax again into OutboundCallRoute, it gives me the error again.

giqcass

Did you set spoofing up on the Vestalink website and verify the number you plan to spoof?
Long live our new ObiLords!

threehappypenguins

Quote from: giqcass on March 21, 2014, 02:04:23 PM
Did you set spoofing up on the Vestalink website and verify the number you plan to spoof?

I realize that now that I needed to set it up on the Vestlink side. Isn't there a way to spoof without needing to do this? Because I can't find anything on the Freephoneline to set up spoofing.

Now the weird thing is that when I change:

Voice Service > SP1 Service > CallerIDName (I entered the name I wanted)

It changes the name that shows up with my number, no problem. But when I change:

Voice Service > SP4 Service > CallerIDName (I entered the name I wanted)

It doesn't change the phone number that shows up with my Vestalink number (or the number I choose to spoof with). It just shows "Unknown number."

But anyways... is it possible to change the number that shows up when I dial out of SP1? (Freephoneline) I read here that it is possible (I think?)... and that's where I got the idea from: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=231.0

drgeoff

To me it looks like you're assuming that all ITSPs do things the same.  If you are, I think that is an unwarranted assumption.

threehappypenguins

Quote from: drgeoff on March 21, 2014, 03:21:42 PM
To me it looks like you're assuming that all ITSPs do things the same.  If you are, I think that is an unwarranted assumption.

To me, it looks like that I don't understand how all this works, which is why I am on a forum asking for help or clarification.  ???

giqcass

Quote from: threehappypenguins on March 21, 2014, 02:59:48 PM
But anyways... is it possible to change the number that shows up when I dial out of SP1? (Freephoneline) I read here that it is possible (I think?)... and that's where I got the idea from: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=231.0

I didn't see freephoneline.ca mentioned in that post.  Where did you see it?  Something you must consider as well is that some companies are changing policies on CID spoofing to avoid abuse.  There are new rules on CID spoofing and they want to be on the right side of the law even if their policies are overly restrictive.  That's why numbers for CID spoofing must often be verified.  Other companies use the information as part of the authorization process and as such altering the info can cause authorization problems.  I can't speak to freephoneline.ca and their policies as I am not familiar with them.  I believe they have their own forum you might consider cross posting your question there.  Someone on their forum might have insight into the problem that we do not.

I'm unclear as to whether you set up your Caller name on Vestalink (The name that shows when you call someone) but that is an option.  It may take some time to propagate to the various databases so don't be surprised if it isn't immediately available.  I thought it was odd but that option is not in the same menu as the CID spoofing.
Long live our new ObiLords!