News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New Challenge----Pass Distinctive Ring to PHONE port??

Started by robhouston, April 25, 2011, 11:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robhouston

My Obi110 is working just like I want, except that I've discovered one problem.  My PSTN line has a "distinctive ring" number on it, meaning that when that virtual number is dialed, a distinctive ring (in my case 3 short and 1 long) is used.  However, when I run the PSTN line into the LINE port of the Obi, the distinctive ring is not passed through to the PHONE port.  In other words, if a distinctive ring call comes in, the telephone on the PHONE port has a plain (one long) ring.

Is there a way to "pass through" the distinctive ring to the PHONE port? 

Thanks for your advice!

RonR

No, it's the OBi that's generating the ring voltage to your telephone.

You should be able to set a different ring pattern, however, at:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DefaultRing

There are 10 ring patterns available, so hopefully, one of them is similar to what you're used to.

You'll find a Ring Profile Parameter Guide on page 104 of the OBi Device Administration Guide.

robhouston

RonR----the problem is that I want two different rings to pass through the LINE port----one "normal" ring and the other the distinctive ring (virtual number), both coming in on the PSTN line.  I had checked out that section in the administrative guide before posting, and I hadn't figured out how to do this.

I'm thinking that it may not be possible.

Thanks!

RonR

The only time the OBi would pass the PSTN ring straight through is when the OBi is powered off.  ALL other times, the OBi generates the ring to the telephone.  The OBi senses the ringing and CallerID (if present) on the LINE Port, but doesn't pass then straight though.  It has to work this way for it to provide the features it does.

robhouston

Yes, that's pretty much what I thought, RonR.  I was hoping that there was a way for the Obi to sense the ring pattern on the LINE port and duplicate it on the PHONE port.  I'll have to think of another workaround, since I need the distinctive ring.

Thanks again for the reply.

RonR

Quote from: robhouston on April 25, 2011, 01:45:26 PMI was hoping that there was a way for the Obi to sense the ring pattern on the LINE port and duplicate it on the PHONE port.

Theoretically, that might be doable, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be implemented.