News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Disabling Call Waiting Permanently Obi / GVoice

Started by toomyw, April 26, 2011, 01:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toomyw

My wife does not like the way that call waiting works on the Obi.  It creates a few seconds of empty sound that makes it seem as though the call was dropped.

I'd like to permanently disable call waiting on the OBI when it's used with Google Voice.  Does anyone know of a way to do this?  I can't find a way to do it in Google Voice and the real issue is when she's on the Obi, not her cell phone.

I'd like to have her not need to dial *57 everytime she dials out.

Thank you.

RonR

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> Calling Features -> CallWaitingEnable : (unchecked)

toomyw

Quote from: RonR on April 26, 2011, 02:23:27 PM
Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> Calling Features -> CallWaitingEnable : (unchecked)

Thank you very much for your assistance.  You just made my wife very happy.  (And made my life much easier!)

ruel

newbie question: should all three boxes in that CallWaitingEnable row be unchecked?

RonR

Quote from: ruel on April 26, 2011, 06:54:04 PM

newbie question: should all three boxes in that CallWaitingEnable row be unchecked?

The reference I gave was for configuring the OBi manually/locally where there's just one checkbox.

I assume you're asking about the OBi Expert configuration.  I don't use it and feel it just complicates matters, so it's probably best I don't give advice on it.

ruel

understood. i think. lol. follow-up newbie question: when you say manually/locally, i'm guessing you are going straight into the obi to get to those settings like from a some local url? sorry, but i'm still feeling my way around how to even explore the in's and out's of tweaking my obi. please excuse my apparent ignorance. lol

RonR

Quote from: ruel on April 26, 2011, 08:17:55 PMwhen you say manually/locally, i'm guessing you are going straight into the obi to get to those settings like from a some local url?

Yes.  The Obi can be accessed using a web browser pointed to the IP address returned by dialing ***1.

ruel

thanks. feels like i have the keys to the kingdom now. lol
another follow-up newbie question:
in that CallWaitingEnable row, should the two boxes be both unchecked?
i see two boxes where one is greyed out until the one in the default column is unchecked.
or just the box in the default column as unchecked and leaving the box in the value column as checked?

RonR

Quote from: ruel on April 26, 2011, 11:01:33 PMin that CallWaitingEnable row, should the two boxes be both unchecked?

The right-most column, labeled Default, when checked selects the default value for the parameter (enabled in this case).  To change a parameter value, the Default column must first be unchecked, allowing the parameter value to be changed.

ruel

ok. so, in other words, both boxes should ultimately be unchecked if you don't want the call waiting enabled. yes?

sorry for the drawn out question. thanks for your guidance.

RonR

Quote from: ruel on April 27, 2011, 09:16:07 AMok. so, in other words, both boxes should ultimately be unchecked if you don't want the call waiting enabled. yes?

Yes.  The only way you will be able to uncheck the CallWaitingEnable parameter is uncheck the Default box first.  If you later check the Default box again, it will force the CallWaitingEnable parameter back on.  IOW, checking a Default box forces a parameter to its default value.