News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help with the Google Voice change Facts

Started by russws, April 10, 2014, 10:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russws

I'm a bit confused, some of the faq indicates Google Voice will not work aftter May 15, yet it says this:
"So, what does this mean if you currently use a phone connected to an OBi device configured with your Gmail account and the Google Voice service?  First, your OBi will continue working as it does today – with calls to your Google Voice number ringing the phone and use of Google's service for connecting calls to the numbers you dial. Over the coming weeks, we will provide more detailed information, including easy to follow, step-by-step instructions on how you can keep using your OBi and your current phone number to keep your home phone bill extremely low, yet retain the power and flexibility that comes from using the OBi and your choice of services – even Google Voice."

So, simply, will Google Voice work with Obi100 after May 15 or not?

gderf

That statement was true when it was written but it does not apply once support for XMPP is withdrawn, potentially as soon as May 15, 2014.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

SteveInWA

I guess it is debating the implied meaning or semantics of their (intentionally vague at that time) post, but you can now interpret it to mean this:

"After 5/15, you will no longer be able to use your OBi box to emulate a Google Chat client, which is how it was able to connect directly to Google's Chat servers to make and receive calls.

However, you can continue to use your OBi with Google Voice, by doing this:

• Sign up for SIP VoP service with any SIP provider you wish; we have a list of suggested providers, and we've negotiated some lower rates with a few of them.
  • Replace the Google Voice Service Provider (SPx) configuration on your OBi with the credentials for the phone number you obtained from a SIP provider, and then
  • add that number as a forwarding phone on your Google Voice account, and disable Google Chat as a forwarding destination."

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 10, 2014, 03:57:43 PM

• Sign up for SIP VoP service with any SIP provider you wish; we have a list of suggested providers, and we've negotiated some lower rates with a few of them.
  • Replace the Google Voice Service Provider (SPx) configuration on your OBi with the credentials for the phone number you obtained from a SIP provider, and then
  • add that number as a forwarding phone on your Google Voice account, and disable Google Chat as a forwarding destination."

That "continue to use your OBi with Google Voice" is only for incoming calls to your GV number.

giqcass

Quote from: russws on April 10, 2014, 10:00:26 AM
Over the coming weeks, we will provide more detailed information, including easy to follow, step-by-step instructions on how you can keep using your OBi and your current phone number to keep your home phone bill extremely low, yet retain the power and flexibility that comes from using the OBi and your choice of services – even Google Voice."
I think this last part of the statement is quite telling about where they planned to go.  They didn't say "free" they said "extremely low".  I think that refers to their approved service providers.  They also say "keep using your OBi and your current phone number" which I think refers to either porting or spoofing.  Finally "yet retain the power and flexibility that comes from using the OBi and your choice of services – even Google Voice." which I believe is just them suggesting forwarding Google voice to the new configured service.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Usetheforceobiwan

I guess it is debating the implied meaning or semantics of their (intentionally vague at that time) post, but you can now interpret it to mean this:

Boy you got that right, Zem some antics I would say  ;D  Whoever wrote that must also write "pickup" books.[/list]

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on April 10, 2014, 04:31:59 PM

That "continue to use your OBi with Google Voice" is only for incoming calls to your GV number.

Sheesh.  Now, that is really debating semantics, not only Obihai's, but now mine.   Do you want something written by a team of contract lawyers?  At some point, I would hope people have some minimum level of human intelligence and understanding of the service to get the whole picture in context.

Add one more bullet to my list, and then a page and a half of disclaimers, explanations, qualifications and denials: 

• If your SIP provider supports it, spoof your Google Voice number's caller ID for outbound calls.

Disclaimers:

"*This solution includes some charges for service, not present in the Google Voice service itself.  Charges will vary, based on service provider selected, usage patterns, etc.  Some rather dumb-ass users interpreted our original advertising to imply that Google Voice was a free telephone company, and/or that OBi was authorized or supported by Google in providing a box that provided free telephone service, and we made no effort to clarify or correct that misinterpretation.  Now, you know.  In addition:

•   Your mileage may vary.
    •   Professional driver on closed course.  Do not attempt this yourself.
    •   Keep away from children; this bag is not a toy
    •   Past performance is not a guarantee of future results
    •   Consult a physician before beginning a new exercise routine
    •   Do not stow children or pets in trunk
    •   This programming contains adult situations.  Parental control is advised
    •   May contain peanuts
    •   Produced in a factory that also processes nuts
    •   Shredded Wheat.  Warning, contains wheat
    •   Known by the State of California to cause cancer
    •   Warning, the beverage you are about to enjoy in this cup is very hot
    •   Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
    •   Always wear safety glasses
    •   Keep away from moving parts
    •   No user-serviceable parts inside
    •   Do not remove tag under penalty of law
    •   Do not operate moving vehicles or dangerous machinery after taking this medication
    •   No animals were harmed during testing of this product
    •   Do not take internally
    •   Do not use externally
    •   For veterinary use only
    •   Read prospectus before investing.
    •   Funds are not insured; you may lose money
    •   Not responsible for damage to vehicle or its contents
    •   Caution, sharp edges!
    •   May contain language inappropriate for young children
    •   Silica gel, do not eat
    •   No warranty for incidental nor consequential damages, expressed or implied
    •   If you are caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions
    •   The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent my employer's positions, strategies or opinions
    •   Seek medical assistance if you have an erection that lasts more than four hours
    •   Side effects may include headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and a potentially irreversible condition called tardive dyskinesia
    •   Equipment lease fees, early termination fees, and whatever other fees we dream up, may apply
    •   Some features not available while roaming off our "nationwide" network"

Johnny

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 14, 2014, 03:47:41 AM
    Quote from: drgeoff on April 10, 2014, 04:31:59 PM

Sheesh.  Now, that is really debating semantics, not only Obihai's, but now mine.   Do you want something written by a team of contract lawyers?  At some point, I would hope people have some minimum level of human intelligence and understanding of the service to get the whole picture in context.

Add one more bullet to my list, and then a page and a half of disclaimers, explanations, qualifications and denials: 

• If your SIP provider supports it, spoof your Google Voice number's caller ID for outbound calls.

Disclaimers:

"*This solution includes some charges for service, not present in the Google Voice service itself.  Charges will vary, based on service provider selected, usage patterns, etc.  Some rather dumb-ass users interpreted our original advertising to imply that Google Voice was a free telephone company, and/or that OBi was authorized or supported by Google in providing a box that provided free telephone service, and we made no effort to clarify or correct that misinterpretation.  Now, you know.  In addition:

•   Your mileage may vary.
    •   Professional driver on closed course.  Do not attempt this yourself.
    •   Keep away from children; this bag is not a toy
    •   Past performance is not a guarantee of future results
    •   Consult a physician before beginning a new exercise routine
    •   Do not stow children or pets in trunk
    •   This programming contains adult situations.  Parental control is advised
    •   May contain peanuts
    •   Produced in a factory that also processes nuts
    •   Shredded Wheat.  Warning, contains wheat
    •   Known by the State of California to cause cancer
    •   Warning, the beverage you are about to enjoy in this cup is very hot
    •   Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
    •   Always wear safety glasses
    •   Keep away from moving parts
    •   No user-serviceable parts inside
    •   Do not remove tag under penalty of law
    •   Do not operate moving vehicles or dangerous machinery after taking this medication
    •   No animals were harmed during testing of this product
    •   Do not take internally
    •   Do not use externally
    •   For veterinary use only
    •   Read prospectus before investing.
    •   Funds are not insured; you may lose money
    •   Not responsible for damage to vehicle or its contents
    •   Caution, sharp edges!
    •   May contain language inappropriate for young children
    •   Silica gel, do not eat
    •   No warranty for incidental nor consequential damages, expressed or implied
    •   If you are caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions
    •   The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent my employer's positions, strategies or opinions
    •   Seek medical assistance if you have an erection that lasts more than four hours
    •   Side effects may include headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and a potentially irreversible condition called tardive dyskinesia
    •   Equipment lease fees, early termination fees, and whatever other fees we dream up, may apply
    •   Some features not available while roaming off our "nationwide" network"

Hilarious...............................................

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 14, 2014, 03:47:41 AMAt some point, I would hope people have some minimum level of human intelligence and understanding of the service to get the whole picture in context.
    Nothing wrong with hoping.  Just don't rely on it.  :)

I'm reminded of how difficult it is to make anything idiot-proof because idiots are so damn clever.

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 14, 2014, 03:47:41 AM
    [

Well I think you about covered everything.  Might even be time to close the thread  ;D