News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GVMate

Started by skipro-tahoe, May 13, 2014, 04:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipro-tahoe

What prevents OBi functioning like the GVMate but without the computer using the GV Hangout?

drgeoff

Appropriate firmware for starters.  ;D

giqcass

Possible lawsuits.  The company that makes GVmate does not seem to have any other product.  Obihai has a business to protect beyond connecting to Google Voice.  Ultimately PcPhonesoft the makers of GVmate have nothing to lose by violating the terms of service.  They are also a much smaller target with far less users.

Now that it has been made clear by Google that the service is not to be used in this fashion it's important to remember that when using GVmate you are also violating Google terms of service.  If Google should ever decide to crack down on that you could potentially lose your account.  That is not something I expect to happen but it is something to consider.
Long live our new ObiLords!

skipro-tahoe

Quote from: drgeoff on May 13, 2014, 05:15:09 PM
Appropriate firmware for starters.
That is obvious.

Quote from: giqcass on May 13, 2014, 10:04:16 PM
Now that it has been made clear by Google that the service is not to be used in this fashion
Please explain "used in this fashion". What terms of Service is being violated?
Thanks

giqcass

I don't think it's explicitly spelled out in the TOS but here is what we know for sure.
https://plus.google.com/+NikhylSinghal/posts/MjyncJEbzxK
Quote from: NikhylSinghal- Finally, we want to make Google Voice as secure as possible. There are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice. These apps violate our Terms of Service and pose a threat to your security, so we're notifying these app developers that they must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014.  

There has been speculation ad nauseum on the meaning of the statement above.  I should point out this is the only statement from Google on this topic that did not come with a "Non Disclosure Agreement."  It's widely speculated that companies like Obihai received direct communication from Google but they may not disclose the details.
Long live our new ObiLords!