News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI110 - Line Port BargeIn

Started by Helloguys, April 21, 2014, 02:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helloguys

OBI110 has a phone port and a line port (POTS).

I have no SP configured in OBI110 and use OBI 110 as a voice gateway to the PSTN network (via the POTS line).

Assuming this scenario:

1) The OBI110 POTS line is being used by OBITalk
2) The phone connected to OBI110 is offhook.

The default behavior is:

1) OBI110 generates a dial tone (even if the POTS line is being used and no SP configured).
2) When user trying to dial a number, OBI110 plays the prompt "no service configured..."

Is there anyway to change this behavior so that when the phone is offhook, it's automatically bridged into the ongoing call (just like the old line splitter)?  So the user who picked up the phone know the line is being used?

I know this may cause some privacy concerns.  But in my use case, that's not a concern at all.

drgeoff

Physical Interfaces, Phone Port, Calling Features, EnableLINEPortBargeIn.

From the Admin Guide:

"This option is useful only when a PSTN line is connected to the OBi110. By default a user can pick up the phone and dial # to connect to the LINE port. If no one else using the PSTN line at that time, the user will hear dial tone from the phone company. On the other hand, if the line is already in use, the user will hear fast busy tone if this option is disabled, or join the current call in progress otherwise.

This option is only available on the OBi110 and  devices with an attached OBiLINE USB to FXO adapter accessory."

You can set a hot dial so that the # will be dialled automatically when the phone is taken off-hook or a warm dial so that it happens after a delay if nothing is dialled.

Helloguys

Quote from: drgeoff on April 22, 2014, 03:47:32 AM

You can set a hot dial so that the # will be dialled automatically when the phone is taken off-hook or a warm dial so that it happens after a delay if nothing is dialled.

This is very good info!  Thank you very much!

How do I configure hot dial so that the # will be dialed automatically when the phone is taken off-hook?

Thanks again!

drgeoff

The Admin Guide contains the answers to many questions, but it isn't an easy read!

(I got the terminology slightly wrong.  OBi use hotline and warm line.)

Digit Map section of the Admin Guide:

<:#> – Hotline to the number #

Insert that with '|' separator at the start of the Phone port's digit map to look like

(<:#>|

For a warm version use

<S4:#>

The number after the 'S' sets the delay in seconds, 4 in this example.

Helloguys

I turned on the "EnableLINEPortBargeIn" option on OBI110 (with PSTN line connected to line port).  There's no SP configured in OBI110.  Here's the test result:

When there's no ongoing calls:

1) I get the phone offhook.  I hear dialtone.
2) I press #.  I hear a 2nd dialtone.  I think this 2nd dialtone is from phone company.
3) I may make calls via the line port.  This is expected.

When there's an OBITalk call using the line port:

1) I get the phone offhook.  I hear dialtone.
2) I press #.  I hear the prompt "No service configured error.  Please log into obi.com and configure your device."  This is unexpected.  I expect to be able to barge into the ongoing calls.

What else I need to configure to enable "EnableLINEPortBargeIn"?

Thanks!

ianobi

I have had EnableLINEPortBargeIn enabled for a long time. I don't use it often, but I know that it used to work. However, I just tried it and I cannot get it to work either.

My present OBi110 setup:

HardwareVersion 2.8
SoftwareVersion 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)

Anyone else care to test?

Helloguys

Which old firmware has this feature working?

Thanks!

ProfTech

I have the same hardware & firmware as ianobi and it works Ok in what I would call a 'normal' scenario;

The PSTN line comes into your house. You have a standard phone connected to the PSTN in the kitchen. You also have the Line port of the Obi connected across the line [in parallel with the kitchen phone]. Someone calls your PSTN number & your wife answers in the kitchen but it is for you. She yells "It is for you" and you pick up the phone attached to the Obi. You press # and it "barges" into the conversation with your wife. She hangs up in the kitchen and you continue the call.

The situation you describe is a little different. It sounds like the Obitalk connection is bridged to the PSTN either via the auto attendant or possibly by a digit map set up. So someone is using the PSTN sort of 'internally'. I'm not sure the barge in feature was designed for that but I could be wrong. I don't use the Obi in a way where the PSTN is bridged to something else so I can't test for you. Sorry.

ianobi

ProfTech,

Thanks for your info. You are quite right, the "BargeIn" function is to allow the Phone Port to barge into a call happening on a parallel connected device connected to the same PSTN line. It's so long since I used it, that I had forgotten how it should work - age related brain cell loss  :)

Usetheforceobiwan

This peaked my interest.  If I understand this correctly, so if you have a PSTN call bridged between the line port and the Obitalk network or even one of the SP's, you cannot barge into the call from a phone connected to the Obi?  Is that correct?

ProfTech

It appears that way. Seems HelloGuys has tried it.

ianobi

Yes, that is the case. I tested by setting up a call coming into my OBi110 on sp2 and going out on the Line Port. I used single-stage dialling, not via the auto attendant. Then I attempted to "BargeIn" from the Phone Port by dialling "#". I got the message "No service configured error.  Please log into obi.com and configure your device."

I can see no technical reason why this should not be allowed, the end result would simply be a 3-way call. However, I'm sure (now that my memory has been prodded!) that ProfTech is correct in his description of how it is designed to work.

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: ianobi on May 01, 2014, 09:00:48 AM
"No service configured error"

One of those thoughts I just had, I would love to re-record that (with Sherman's voice) to say "No sh*t, it's not configured error"   ;D

giqcass

This isn't what you asked for but it might help.  I think you could try setting up a speed dial to call your obi via sip.  That would cause a call waiting beep.  When the person flashed over you could say "Get off the #&$&%$ phone!"

I have not actually tested this theory.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: giqcass on May 02, 2014, 01:37:43 AM
This isn't what you asked for but it might help.  I think you could try setting up a speed dial to call your obi via sip.  That would cause a call waiting beep.  When the person flashed over you could say "Get off the #&$&%$ phone!"

I have not actually tested this theory.

Maybe sample some of this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfUD0WhE264