News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

IPV6 and Obi 202

Started by dirt_diver, April 22, 2014, 09:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt_diver

Where are you guys with IPv6 support and the 202? Some ISP's are starting to roll it out and obviously this will create issues if you are not supporting it.

gderf

You seem to think that an ISP rolling out IPv6 means they are going stop using IPv4. That isn't going to happen any time soon.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

giqcass

The IPV6 system will remain as a dual system with IPV4 for a long time to come in the US.  I see no reason why IPV6 couldn't be rolled out in a firmware update when the day finally comes.  Most routers will probably tunnel IPV4 over IPV6 for legacy equipment anyway(when the time comes).  Think reverse NAT.  This has all been discussed at length and its just too soon to give any serious concern.
Long live our new ObiLords!

JohnBowler

"Most routers will probably tunnel IPV4 over IPV6 for legacy equipment anyway (when the time comes)."

The point is that the Obi202 *is* a router.  It's certainly true that many other pure VOIP machines don't yet support IPv6 (like the CISCO SPA112), but they're not sold as routers!  Meanwhile Cisco states that the SPA122, which has router functionality, is "upgradeable" to support IPv6 (it looks incredibly similar to a 202; is it just rebadged hardware?)

When I bought my Obi202 it was pretty much the only choice for VOIP+router.  If the router functionality is not supported then at some point I'm going to have to swap to a different router and at that point the 202 will probably end up in the trash can; after all, these days there are a whole lot of VOIP providers and a whole lot of VOIP/telephone interfaces.  I could even just buy VOIP telephones, then I could get rid of the whole antiquated Vodavi STS telephone system I have.

All it takes is one critical internal application that requires IPv6.  I already have a NetGear WNDR4500 (N900) which I use just for wireless clients; I could replace the 202 with anything supported by my VOIP provider and that includes the SPA112.

John Bowler

RFC3261

Quote from: JohnBowler on July 09, 2014, 02:05:00 PM

... Meanwhile Cisco states that the SPA122, which has router functionality, is "upgradeable" to support IPv6 ...

As it is "only" software, Cisco can say it is upgradable.  However, there is a high likelihood that it will be EOL'ed before that upgrade is actually required (i.e. SIP providers only providing IPv6 connectivity and no longer providing an IPv4 end point), as Cisco has done for other products where proper IPv6 support was promised as a future upgrade (and then the product was EOL'ed).

That does not mean that Cisco (or Obihai) does not need to work on IPv6 support across their product lines, just that as priorities go, IPv6 support is probably way down the list, and, ultimately will depend on the VOIP providers timelines.  Right now, AFAIK, there are few providers that even have IPv6 end points publicly documented/available.

Shale

Off topic:
Any  suggestions on how do I shut off that "Old OBi? Want Ring.to?" scrolling  in Firefox?

Edit: I found a userContent.css solution to stop the scrolling. I wonder if there was a simpler solution. Marque scrolling started after I did some reinstalls. I don't know how long that was going on. Maybe the marquee was coincidence. I did not have the scrolling prior to my recent reinstalls, and I don't think I had the userContent.css in place on this computer then... but maybe I did. I did lose some files it seems.

Lavarock7

As a side note, in 2014 just 4% of internet traffic hitting Google used an IPv6 address. The other 96% were still using old IPv4 addresses, so I am not too worried whether an OBI can do IPv6 yet.

As the number of available IP addresses dwindled and the "there will soon be no more IP addresses" scare went out, some companies gave up chunks of their IP addresses. While this may not seem like a lot of addresses, you need to understand how IP addresses were first allocated.

The first octet (the first digit A of A.B.C.D) was originally assigned to large companies. No one at the time thought much about this except that large companies had a need.

So GE got 3.x.x.x and BBN got 8.x.x.x and IBM got 9.x.x.x and HP got 15.x.x.x, DEC got 16.x.x.x and Apple got 17.x.x.x, etc.

This first number ranged from 0 to 255 and had assignments to one or multiple uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assigned_/8_IPv4_address_blocks

So up until a decade or two ago, if you saw an IP address of 15.1.2.3 or 15.17.122.7, if it started with 15, it was HP, 19 and it was Ford Motor Company. It didn't take long to allocate all those 156 blocks of numbers. Then as the Internet caught on, some of those blocks were further divided.

That meant at the outset, HP had 16,777,216 addresses, IBM had 16,777,216 addresses, BBN had 16,777,216 addresses and so on, whether they actually needed them or not.

Over time some of these companies rearranged what IP addresses they were using and gave up blocks of addresses. Not all of their PC's, computers, routers, workstations or mainframes needed to be accessed directly from outside their firewall.

As new technology took off, devices started using more and more IP addresses, Cellphones, computers and the like all wanted one. The powers that be decreed that if they came up with a new numbering scheme, each person on earth could have *a TON* (a technical term) od addresses assigned to them.

One writer did some calculations to prove that some of the initial numbers of IPv6 addresses would not be implemented. Still the numbers are staggering.

---

http://rednectar.net/2012/05/24/just-how-many-ipv6-addresses-are-there-really/

There are only 4.2×10^37 42 undecillion IPv6 addresses currently defined and usable.

With a bit of creative programming, it would only take 69000 years to scan all the IPv6 addresses on a 48 bit IPv6 subnet if you were scanning at a million addresses per second.

---

As CNN reported in 2012:

The Internet's address book grew from "just" 4.3 billion unique addresses to 340 undecillion (that's 340 trillion trillion trillion). That's a growth factor of 79 octillion (billion billion billion).

---

I wonder how many years it will take before we start running out of those addresses?
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

gderf

Quote from: Lavarock7 on July 11, 2014, 03:46:01 PM
I wonder how many years it will take before we start running out of those addresses?

At that point in time "we" will not include anyone who has read this.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

RFC3261

Quote from: Lavarock7 on July 11, 2014, 03:46:01 PM

Obligatory xkcd ref:  http://xkcd.com/865/