News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

can't use multiple phone numbers on phone port 2 like phone port 1 on obi202

Started by evergreen, May 12, 2014, 09:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evergreen

I currently have a phone power account with a phone number and a cloned number and while I am able to call out and receive calls from both numbers over phone port 1, I can only call out and receive calls from one of the two phone numbers over phone port 2 of my obi202.  I had tried troubleshooting by simply swapping cables and I confirmed that the issue lies in phone port 2 of the obi device.  Any assistance with making phone port 2 as functional as phone port 1 would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Shale

Go to your Obi Dashboard.  Click on the SP that is not ringing both lines as you desire. Tick both boxes on the "Incoming Calls Will Ring On" line so that calls will ring both lines. Click Submit.

drgeoff

I don't fully understand evergreen's problem as he has not said how he is selecting the number to call from.

Shale's answer may fix the incoming calls but it does nothing about the inability to call out from both numbers on phone port 2.

Shale

Quote from: drgeoff on May 12, 2014, 10:48:14 AM
Shale's answer may fix the incoming calls but it does nothing about the inability to call out from both numbers on phone port 2.
You are right. I mis-read. What he is describing sounds like a hardware failure.  If it is a hardware port failure I might expect a symptom of not getting a dialtone when picking up phone 2.

Or if dialtone is heard, what does dialing from line 2 ***0 do?

drgeoff

No, the hardware is OK as evergreen is able to make calls from phone port 2 on one of his two numbers.

I wonder if he is using 2-line phones. The port 1 jack supports those.  Port 2 jack does not.

Shale

Quote from: drgeoff on May 12, 2014, 11:27:29 AM
I wonder if he is using 2-line phones. The port 1 jack supports those.  Port 2 jack does not.

Oooh... good point on the jack interaction. If he unplugs Phone 1, does Phone 2 work better?

evergreen

No, the hardware is OK as evergreen is able to make calls from phone port 2 on one of his two numbers.

I wonder if he is using 2-line phones. The port 1 jack supports those.  Port 2 jack does not.

Thank you very much!  You are correct.  I should have mentioned that I was using a 2-line phone.  Is there a way around it so that I can have port 2 work the way port 1 does?  Thanks again for clarifying!

Shale

You can do either of these:

1. Hook your 2-line phone to the Phone-1 jack only using a 4-wire cord; both lines are on that cord. Phone 1 jack has both lines on it.

2. Hook one phone to  phone line 1 jack with a 2-wire phone cord, and hook another phone to Phone 2 jack with either a 2- or 4-wire cord. Use of the 2-wire cord to the Phone-1 jack keeps you from hooking that phone to Line 2.

drgeoff

Quote from: evergreen on May 12, 2014, 08:58:05 PM

Thank you very much!  You are correct.  I should have mentioned that I was using a 2-line phone.  Is there a way around it so that I can have port 2 work the way port 1 does?  Thanks again for clarifying!
No. The port 2 jack has only the phone 2 wiring on it so it cannot work exactly the same as the port 1 jack which has both. No amount of software config can change that to allow a 2-line phone to access both your SPs using the phone's Line1,2 buttons.

The simplest solution is to get a "doubler" which plugs in PHONE socket 1 and gives you two sockets both of which have all four wires straight connected to its plug.  Plug your two 2-line phones into those sockets.

Alternatively the OBi can be configured such that all incoming calls will ring both PHONE1 and PHONE2 jacks.  And you can use **1 or **2 prefixes on dialled numbers to make a call go out to a desired SP.