News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

which service

Started by DavidTW, May 13, 2014, 05:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidTW

Sorry this topic may have been discussed a lot.  However My internet connection is not the greatest (I have wireless).  I initially used T-mobile voip, and it worked great, but then I switched my cell phone and they would not let me keep the voip without the cell phone.   After that I tried a lot of services.  I actually bought 2 years of voipo, but the calls keep dropping, and the can't fix it.  So then I spent a few more months trying ooma, magic jack, etc.  Finally I tried google voice with OBI, and it worked good (not as good as T-mobile, but good).  Now I am going to have to find another service.

So I just switched to phone power, but calls to certain numbers wont go through, I get this: rejected by service provider reason 480

They say they are working to fix it, but it has been 3 days so I don't have much hope.  Also my wife complains about the call quality.  She says it gets bad after talking for a few minutes.

So my questions:

1- can I fix this with some settings?  Maybe forcing a codec?  This is for both the sound quality, and the calls not working to some numbers.

2- Is there a provider that will work as good as T-mobile?   I am not sure what they did, but it worked great. 

p.s.  skype sounds good on my computer, but I want to use a regular phone (or my wife does)....

Thanks

dircom

Not enough information.
Who is your ISP?
what speed do you have
when you say wireless, what do you mean?
Do you have a router?
etc etc

DavidTW

Sorry...

isp:  Digis
speed:  since it is wireless it seems to change alot, but usually about 400kbs download 100kbs upload

When I say wirless, I mean there is a tower that sends a wireless signal to my dish on my house.   I have my obi device pluged directly into my router.

Yes, I have a router.

Even though I have broadband, I don't think is is as good as a good wired connection.  Some services (such as T-mobile) handled it great with a clear signal and almost no distortion or dropped calls.  Others (such as voipo, magic jack, etc) do not deal with it well at all.  Google voice has been very acceptable though.  So I know it is possible to have voip work with my isp, but not all play nice with it.

Thanks

drgeoff

Your internet speeds, especially upload are rather low for VoIP. G.711 (u-law), the most common codec, runs at 64kbit/s. Adding on the overheads of wrappers etc you are at or close to 100, especially if any other traffic is also happening.

There are lower rate codecs but your ITSP might not support them. E.g. G.729 at 8kbit/s.

DavidTW

from what I have found T-mobile used GSM.  I am not familiar with that, but I think it uses less bandwidth than G.711.

I am not sure if Phone power supports G.729, but I see voipms does, as well as GSM.... But I don't think the OBI supports GSM.

This is what digis says about my plan, but it does not seem to be that good most of the time.
Up to 10 Mbps Download
Up to 2 Mbps Upload
Great for web browsing, social networking, email, shopping, music and video streaming, chat and video chat