News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Do I really need to delete GV from SP1?

Started by mj56gt, May 13, 2014, 06:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj56gt

Currently I have GV on SP1 (as primary line for outgoing calls) of my OBi110 while SP2 has been set with an ITSP. Do I really need to delete GV from SP1 before Google terminates their XMPP support? Can I just leave my setup as is so that, even when Google cuts off their support in a couple of days, my SP2 would automatically take it over for outgoing calls?

AlanB

SP2 will not "automatically" take over for calls.  You will either need to set it as primary or dial **2 prior to the call.  Yes, you can wait one more day and then delete SP1 (or you can leave it forever, just sitting there).

S2SinNC

So glad someone asked this, but I have a follow up question.

During setup of either Anveo or PhonePower, if I leave GV as SIP1 and set up the new service in SIP2, will the SIP2 (Anveo or Phonepower) automatically move into the SIP1 slot when I delete SIP1 (GV)?

If No, will deleting GV from SIP1 and leaving SIP2 set up with Anveo (or Phonepower) negate the need to dial **2 or is that required for any SIP2 calling?

I'm trying to determine if I should just delete the GV now or leave it until Friday.

Rick

Quote from: S2SinNC on May 14, 2014, 07:19:56 AM
So glad someone asked this, but I have a follow up question.

During setup of either Anveo or PhonePower, if I leave GV as SIP1 and set up the new service in SIP2, will the SIP2 (Anveo or Phonepower) automatically move into the SIP1 slot when I delete SIP1 (GV)?

If No, will deleting GV from SIP1 and leaving SIP2 set up with Anveo (or Phonepower) negate the need to dial **2 or is that required for any SIP2 calling?

I'm trying to determine if I should just delete the GV now or leave it until Friday.

Nothing will automatically move.

You'll negate the need to dial **2, as Alan indicated, by setting SP2 to be primary.

AlanB

Quote from: S2SinNC on May 14, 2014, 07:19:56 AM

Why not delete it now unless you spend a lot on calls every day and two more days of free calls is significant. I don't know your personal situation so you will of course have to make that decision.

S2SinNC

It was more because I had a phone interview scheduled for the same day that GV was supposed to stop working so I didn't want to take any chances that calls wouldn't go through perfectly.

After I posted I have since changed it so PhonePower (PP) is in slot 1 and GV is in slot 2. I also had GP forwarding calls to the new PP number but I just stopped that today due to some call quality issues. I figure once GV really stops working I can change it back and any outbound calls will go through PP with a spoofed GV#.

As far as call quality - I'm will hold off on complaining about it being PP's issue given that the call is routing through a bunch of GV servers and then routing again across a bunch of PP servers. Not to mention, I'm sure PP has a hard time planning bandwidth for this event since there is no good way to determine how many new customers they would obtain, where they would be located, and when they would activate service.