News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 No Longer Can Be Added As Device

Started by helpme, May 16, 2014, 11:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helpme

Have owned and used a Obi110 with a D-Link DI 524 router and GV for 2.5 years.  Together they have worked splendidly.

On 2 May 14, switched to PhonePower.  Combined with the Obi110 and DI 524 router, everything worked fine.  No hitches at all.

On 15 May 14, calls were not going through to destinations.  Noticed online the Obi110 was offline.  PhonePower was still registered.  Could not get the Obi110 to come up.

Followed all the typical troubleshooting guidance.  Removed PhonePower, deleted the Obi110 as a device, and performed a factory reboot.  Now cannot connect the Obi110.  ***1 reports no IP address is available.  The power LED is blinking green.  *9-222-222-222 reports no service to complete your call.

So forum mates, any ideas why the Obi110 is not getting an IP address from the router?  Nothing has changed with the router.  It still works fine with my home network.

SkOrPn

I have almost exactly the same situation. I just left Google and signed up with voip.ms about two weeks ago. Everything was working fantastic, and then today I went to make a call and nothing. I looked over at the device and all LED's were perfectly as expected. Went online to check the device and it said it was OFF-LINE. I removed power, then replugged power and and still nothing. I did a 10 second reset per normal instructions and now the device LED's do not come back on, the router does not see its IP, and it appears to be dead as a doornail.

I'm not very happy camper right now and really not sure what to do. So I sure hope you figure it out. In the meantime if I figure it out I will be sure to let you know. I hope OBi didn't push firmware that purposely bricked it so they can sell new units...

helpme

Quote from: SkOrPn on May 17, 2014, 05:59:05 PM
I hope OBi didn't push firmware that purposely bricked it so they can sell new units...

Funny you should mention that.  Below is what the Obihai Support Team sent me in response to my trouble ticket:

RE: (BG) OBi110 200330452, Cannot Add Device
You may have to upgrade your OBi device to an OBi200 or OBi202, this might work better with your Dlink router.

Guess they missed the part about the Obi110 and my router working perfectly together over the previous 2.5 years.  So, why now, during this period of transition away from GV, should the two no longer work together?  A bit too coincidental in my view.   

SkOrPn

Yeah, I must admit I really hate saying something like that but it just seems so convenient that in the exact same week that Obihai is expecting GV to stop working so does my device. After 2.5 years of perfect function and no sign of problems what so ever. I opened a support ticket but I do not expect much to happen from it.

Oh well, I can't afford a full priced ATA this time around, so I will try to convert a cheap walmart basictalk to a HT701 and hope it works. If not, I will be forced to start using a SIP Softphone, or figure out how to use my Nexus 7 with voip.ms. I have 10 and 15 year old electronics here that still work just fine if I was to want to use them. They sure don't make electronics as reliable as they used to...

helpme

My Obi110 is back up and running with PhonePower

Not sure what happened.  Heard that distinct, flimsy clicking sound of a factory reset coming from the device.  Checked the LEDs.  Found the power LED to be steady green for the first time since this started.

Logged on to my account and added a device.  On the second attempt, it was recognized.  Resynced PhonePower.  Calls are now going through again.

After earlier installing the PhonePower softphone on my PC to have, at least, some telephone connectivity, I abandoned further troubleshooting efforts.  Guess the Obihai elves were hard at work in the background and solved the issue.  If that's the case--thanks, mates!

So, SkOrPn, there is hope for you yet.  Good luck!

SkOrPn

Well well, what do you know, looks like those same elves visited me today as well.

Since you had some luck, I decided to grab mine and try again = nothing. No lights, no sounds, no nothing. Went to another room, same thing, nothing. Decided to try and do a 10th reset attempt, still nothing, tried an 11th reset attempt, still nothing. Then I thought to myself maybe I am waiting to long to try the reset (I been waiting for the red light to go out before trying the reset), so I held the Obi, placed the brick inside a switchable power strip, stood up and used my toe to turn the strip on and immediately used the reset button and counted to 10 yet again (12th or 13th time since yesterday morning). This time the power light lit up bright green after the initial bright red light. It then started to blink wildly green, and then several others came on green. With a big smile, I unplugged the device and went back into my office, replugged it back up to my power strip and the ethernet/phone lines and powered it back up = green led's. I then went to its IP and sure enough there was the firmware home page.

I just called my landline and it went through right away. This time I used the built in voip.ms setup page instead of the manual setup page at voip.ms. Not sure exactly what the difference would be, but its working.

NOW, with all of this new learning experience, why in the heck would it have been spontaneously dead in the first place? This does not instill any confidence in me that I can trust this OBi any further. I'm still thinking that maybe I should get that $10 basictalk device, convert it to a HT701 and keep it around for a backup ATA.

I would have eventually tried it again anyway, but thanks to you I tried it again a little sooner than I was planning on. In fact, I think I was going to Walmart today to buy the other device, but you saved me a trip. Thanks  ;D

Usetheforceobiwan

You guys should consider the possibility that the Obitalk network (which is used for provisioning, setup and Obi to Obi communication) could have been down or partially disabled to the point that it could impact the ability for your Obi to get out to the internet.  I would imagine, with all the panic over the GV XMPP thing, there was lots of traffic on the Obitalk network whether that was re-provisioning or people checking to make sure GV still worked.  If your Obi acts up like this a couple weeks from now, well then be concerned.  Otherwise, I would tell you for now just chalk it up to the circumstance of the supposed XMPP "cutoff" panic.

SkOrPn

Quote from: Usetheforceobiwan on May 18, 2014, 10:48:36 AM
You guys should consider the possibility that the Obitalk network (which is used for provisioning, setup and Obi to Obi communication) could have been down or partially disabled to the point that it could impact the ability for your Obi to get out to the internet.  I would imagine, with all the panic over the GV XMPP thing, there was lots of traffic on the Obitalk network whether that was re-provisioning or people checking to make sure GV still worked.  If your Obi acts up like this a couple weeks from now, well then be concerned.  Otherwise, I would tell you for now just chalk it up to the circumstance of the supposed XMPP "cutoff" panic.

LOL, No, that can't be it. My device did NOT have any lights on it, even with the ethernet cable unplugged. They all supposed to have a green LED light 4 or 5 seconds after you plug it in. Mine had NOTHING what so ever after the red light went away. It was just completely dead, no lights, no sounds, no nothing. Not until I tried a different reset method of my own design did it come back to life.

drgeoff

I wonder if a messed up configuration (eg an invalid parameter or invalid syntax in a digit map) can stop an Obi from booting properly.

SkOrPn

good question. Something was definitely messed up, but what ever it was it was spontaneous. I'm wondering if a brown out or network condition caused a kernel panic or if the device is going to die soon. I no longer trust it...